Selecting a new printer

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by cadwal, May 10, 2004.

1. cadwal

cadwal Member

My old Canon BJC-2000 stopped working (I think one cartridge ran out of ink and another had dried up, but I don't really want to waste money on a new cartridge to find out if the printer head have problems) so I am in the market for a new one.

I have had great success printing card models with a HP CL4500 (the colors survive UHU Alleskleber, Wiccol Carton and my own sweaty paws :) but one of those is a bit to expensive for personal use so I am now down to choosing between a Canon i560 and an Epson C84 inkjet(incidentally the same price here in Sweden now that Canon makes room for the i560x and its EURO2004 football).

The C84 and the durabrite ink are proven to last long and be waterresistant but the difference between 80 and 25 years of longevity isn't something I worry about as any model I manage to make that should be stored that long will be protected by UV-resistant spray lack(sp?).
    So I wonder, can anyone with a canon printer actually tell me (or us) really how non-waterresistant the ink is when allowing each page to dry well, printing on something like HMV-karton and using the abovementioned glues?

I am leaning towards the Canon as I will be printing irregularly (sometimes not printing anything for a couple of weeks or so) and Epson does have a bad reputation for clogging in those situations.

Canon (to my understanding) also have a slight edge in print quality for text as well as quite a large advantage in speed and noiselevel and far from all of my printing will be models in color.

Comments, ideas (scanned samples of printouts perhaps :) are welcome.

2. Gil

Gil Active Member

I recently went through the same process and narrowed the selection to between the Epson and Canon. I ended up with the Canon as it was very low cost and provides excellent print quality. I don't worry so much about lifespan of the ink as I always spray acrylic matte finish on the sheets before starting to work on them. I was most interested in very fine detail and am more than satisfied with the i560.

Best regards, Gil
  3. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

after our hp-photoprinter made bad printouts (some mechanic problems) I decided to buy a HP-1100d. the main argument for the printer was the price (200 EUR with initial ink-set) and extra inktanks for each color, the same resolution as the photoprinter and a more stable mechanical design for professional usage.

I am very satisfied with the printer. after reading the manual :) I now know how to print out at 100%, as far as the designers keep in mind to use only the common area of A4 and Letter :?

4. Darwin

Darwin Member

Gil, have you had much experience with Cannons? I have always liked Epsons, especially because of the relatively straight-thru paper feed. However, I have finally had one teriminally plug before wearing out the gear train, so am rethinking my brand loyalty. It looks as if the Cannon paper path is about the same as the Epson's, and price looks comparible. Just hate the thought of being stuck with a dozen unused carts, though.
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

The first part of the answer is no, I haven't had long experience with Canons, all have been HPs. I did a lot of research and read copius reviews before settling on the Canon. Besides its price was $79.95 at Costco and the refill kit works with its ink cartridges (one important buying point). Epson is still the king when it comes to resolution and gets great kudos on skin tones but I'm extremely satisfied with the i560s performance in all areas, especially paper. It has a similar paper path as does the Epson and has a lever which allows thicker stock to be printed by changing the platten height. One issue that repeatedly was voiced regarding Epson was the print head clogging. The Canon has replaceable print heads so you don't have to dump the whole printer when an unclearable clog occurs. I did many experiments with print quality and find it to be a very capable all around printer for home and card modeling use. Anyone else have input..., printers are the single most important asset in a card modelers tool chest and must be chosen carefully.

Best regards, Gil

P.S. One other point is that it gets good marks for number of full color prints per ink cartridge.
  6. cadwal

cadwal Member

Thank you Gil, you more or less confirmed what I wanted to now. An additional question regarding the Canon: Does printed pages smear easily unless protected by some kind of finish?

Now that the decision was almost done, Raimund had to tempt me with an HP :D I had previously eliminated all HP:s for their formfactor and not having separate ink color cartridges, but of course the business inkjet line, that I had completely ignored, fixes at least the color problem. Actually it looks like the price/print cost should be really favorable with the cartridges that printer uses. With the prices I can find color prints with the HP printer should be half the cost of the Canon, black prints would be equal in cost though. There must be some difference in how they measure the 5% coverage, or?

I would still say that the HP is a bit to big in size for me though, the size probably explains the increased robustness.

When it comes to replaceable printheads, the HP apparently has a separate one for each color, good for 20-25000 pages. Not even the Canon website lists any printheads for the i560 though I have also heard that the Canon should indeed have a replaceable printhead. That's odd.

7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Last first, must look into the printhead replacement issue. HPs still rotate the paper through a 180 degree path which is not good when printing heavier stock. I've had no problems with ink smear on paper whatsoever but haven't tried it on impervious coatings yet. HP printers have robust cartridges but suffer footprint issues. The Canon i560 has a minimal footprint requirement with the print output tray folding away nicely when not in use. I too have looked at the larger format printers but decided that they're a luxury with features that would be little used for most of my card modeling activities.

Best regards, Gil
  8. rickstef

rickstef Guest

I have an HP at home and one in the office, and I can crank sheets of 110# through the printer with out any problems

and some of the fixes I learned of when selling them, I need to implement, my 1315 at home is acting up.

9. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I use an Epson C82, primarily because the paper path is so flat, and it will handle material up to 1mm thick. Printers are so cheap nowadays, compared with the cost of the ink cartridges, I reckoned if the printer lasted a year (ie within guarantee) I could afford to ditch it if it failed after that. I have had no problems so far, although I find it best to switch it off most of the time, on to print, then off agaian, AND make sure I print something (full colour) at least once a week. Some hardship! So far, no trouble at all, and that includes my plastic card printing experiments.

10. cadwal

cadwal Member

Thank you to all who answered (particularly Gil).

I am now a happy owner of a Canon i560x with a graphite colored shell (and I did not have to buy a football:)

I have tested printing with a scanned copy of the JSC Wien frontpage and page 4 of NOBI:s Hawker Tempest on plain paper. Both printouts were excellent and I do not doubt that given proper photo paper the printer would be able to almost equal the JSC original page. Colors on the model are full without any hint of banding, and black are really really black. All lines are as sharp as they would be on a laser printer.

I did manage some small smearing on a Windows printer test page, but only on one of the version numbers. Also the text prints are almost laser quality, at least given the point size used on that page.

I will test with cardstock this weekend if nothing else gets in the way.

Apparently sells printheads for i560, at €120.

11. rowiac

rowiac Member

You should be happy with the new Canon printer. I recently bought an i960, which is similar to yours except it has six color cartridges instead of four. I've been able to print on 110 lb (0.25mm thick) cardstock without any problems, and it also does excellent photos. The inks are not waterproof, but neither is the paper! I haven't had any smudging problems.

I bought this printer to replace my old Epson Photo 750, which had constantly given me headaches with clogging over the past couple of years. If I let it sit too long (say 2 or 3 weeks) I'd almost always have clogs to deal with. At one point it got so bad I had to buy some special head cleaner to get it to print properly. The only way to use the cleaner was with the head in place, so it made a big mess inside the printer. I read somewhere that Epson now recommends turning on the printer once a week or so (which runs a cleaning cycle) to avoid clogs.

If my new Canon ever gets a clog, the print head is easily removable for cleaning (or replacement). The separate ink tanks are also a nice feature. One more thing that sold me on the Canon is that it uses optical sensors to determine how much ink is left in each cartridge, rather than counting pulses like the Epson. This means that the printer will not stop printing because it "thinks" there is no ink left.

As far as HP printers go, I've had good luck with them for business use, but I chose the Canon because I felt it was better for the dual use of paper model and photo printing.

Good luck,

12. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

HP All-in-one printers

Just want to throw in another outlook on printers. My wife and I are fulltime RVers, so space is very limited. My PC has to be a laptop rather than a desktop and our first printers were Canon BJCs. My BJC 85 recently croaked and could not be repaired and I was not impressed by their other small ones (the BJC could be used as a scanner by replacing the ink cartridge with a scanner cartridge).

In searching for a replacement, we ran across an HP 1315v on sale at WalMart for $79. It is small enough to work for us. It prints, copies, scans, and even FAXes. The ink is waterproof so it doesn't smear. Prints fine photos and makes copies and scans at full size. Maximum paper size is 8.5 x 14 (and all smaller sizes). Software controls lets you scale down printouts (or scale little bitty ones up - to a degree.

Of course that model has been replaced with a newer version which seems to be basically identical and is still inexpensive. If you're looking for a new one, check it out.

(I am not an employee or HP and they haven't even offered me free ink for an endorsement!:wink: )