Seen this engine before

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
It is a Tyco with the motor and drive wheels in the tender. The engine is a dummy that is pushed.

ff44_12.JPG

I plan to paint it black and silver.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Seems like junk from working on it, a dozen differnt systems to back south.However it will run and look right smart and the best part is it kept me busy for a while working on it.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
It's interesting to note that many European steam models are powered in the tender. It's powerful, reliable and allows for the proper detailing of the loco's main body. Don't know why it never really caught on here.

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
The Tyco 2-8-0's tender drive doesn't like to stay together. The most common problum is the small spurr gear that is directly attached to the motor shaft comes loose of the shaft. The motor spins and nothing happens. Just noise. A little super glue on a tip of a pin if proprely applied will fix it for awile. Never permently.
If you remove the smoke unit from under the boiler. Then take the drivers from the frame. Take appart the driver with the excentric for the smoke unit and remove it from the shaft. Get a standard Mantua drive gear for a 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 and put it on the shaft. Start filling the frame to get it to fit. Replace the drivers in the frame. Put a standard Mantua 0-4-0 motor on the frame. Rebuild the tender removing the drive and replaceing it with a tender floor with trucks that can pick up power for the rails. Get a boiler weight for a Mantua 0-8-0 or 2-8-0. And you have a nice 2-8-0.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
That will fix it?

Be better to buy a Bachman Spectrum. LOL....:D

I have a dozen steam engines in HO, I dont think it will get enough use to were it out.

Some are top shelf and a couple are junkers like this.

Now an other might be very proud of this engine and get great use from it. I mean no disrespect to you and your hobby enjoyment.:eek:ops:

It was just a project piece to while away this cold weather. I painted her and she looks nice. That is good enough for me.:thumb: