Seen One of These

Ben H

Nov 22, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Has some extra time yesterday while going up Vancovuer Ilsland, so I stiopped at a couple of outdoor museums. Got these picture and a few more.
Anyone know what is called?

Attachments

• yellow-beasst-f2-images.jpg
    yellow-beasst-f2-images.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 259

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I'll guess...... and I do mean GUESS.

1. It sits on a shay chassis. There is no apparent stack, so must assume it's no longer steam powered. Gas or Diesel.

2. The rig on the side is most probably a form of "jill poke" or log unloader. I would guess that a log train would pull up at an unloading facility, and this unloader would start at one end and one car at a time would push the logs off, until the train was unloaded. The train could then return to the forrest for more logs.

3. It appears to be an "in-house" manufacture/modification, and may even still have the boiler in place as a "counterweight" for pushing logs.

Pete

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I don't know but,...

...I like it! I like it alot! It looks dangerous.

Anything that looks like it might have held other rigging (conveyors, hoist)? It is decidedly roofed in a one-sided fashion as if it was working a particular run of rail. I'm thinking in terms of a dedicated spot & service.

Since it's at a museum, what were the primary industries served that would require this gem of design and ingenuity? I have already discounted that the "apendage" is a "stop" to prevent the car from rolling all the way over should a wind hit it and land the car on it's quarter moon roofed side.

Interesting.

I do know this. I like it. I like it alot.

Mark

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Ben, Not seen one, but looks like a great project to scratchbuild.
Shamus
waver.gif