Seen One of These

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Ben H, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Ben H

Ben H Member

Has some extra time yesterday while going up Vancovuer Ilsland, so I stiopped at a couple of outdoor museums. Got these picture and a few more.
    Anyone know what is called?

Attached Files:

2. Ben H

Ben H Member

This Yellow Beast is self-powered (see anything that looks familiar)

Attached Files:

3. Ben H

Ben H Member

A distance shot might help

Attached Files:

4. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

I'll guess...... and I do mean GUESS.

1. It sits on a shay chassis. There is no apparent stack, so must assume it's no longer steam powered. Gas or Diesel.

2. The rig on the side is most probably a form of "jill poke" or log unloader. I would guess that a log train would pull up at an unloading facility, and this unloader would start at one end and one car at a time would push the logs off, until the train was unloaded. The train could then return to the forrest for more logs.

3. It appears to be an "in-house" manufacture/modification, and may even still have the boiler in place as a "counterweight" for pushing logs.

5. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

I don't know but,...

...I like it! I like it alot! It looks dangerous.

Anything that looks like it might have held other rigging (conveyors, hoist)? It is decidedly roofed in a one-sided fashion as if it was working a particular run of rail. I'm thinking in terms of a dedicated spot & service.

Since it's at a museum, what were the primary industries served that would require this gem of design and ingenuity? I have already discounted that the "apendage" is a "stop" to prevent the car from rolling all the way over should a wind hit it and land the car on it's quarter moon roofed side.

I do know this. I like it. I like it alot.

6. Ben H

Ben H Member

Well is called a Humurgin and could unload about 30 log cars in 15 fifteen minutes.

My pictures where taken at the site on Vancouver Island that has this machine as part of its musem display. It last has a Chrysler engine installed now it its just part of the past.

It aslo listed along with other BC Logging Railways sites at
  7. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Comox Log unloader, made from shay #2324's third owner, the Comox Logging and Railway Co. in 1947. Looks like it's all there, except the counterweight that used to hang off the jib. Seems it was still in use as late as 1984.
  8. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Ben, Not seen one, but looks like a great project to scratchbuild.