seeking short passenger cars

gjxj

Dec 13, 2005
I'm looking for some short steam era passenger cars that will look right on
a tight layout. Ive found a few references to 36-40 ft passenger cars, but can't find anyone who makes them.. Ideas..?

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind is that the "steam era" lasted for 130 years or so--from the 1830s to the 1960s! The little Overton cars are cute but they are most appropriate for a pre-1900 layout, and even then they were rare. You might be better off with some of the 60-foot "shorty" Athearn passenger cars. Unless you are running 15" radius or tighter curves, a 60' passenger car should work fine.

gjxj

Dec 13, 2005
Thanks all, this is a christmas tree layout, so 'cute' is pretty much what we are after. I have an 18in minumum, so longer cars will 'work' but they just don't look right to me. I think the overtons will work well with my IHC 2-6-0.. (If they are wrong period I dont want to know..)

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Actually the Overton cars - there only 2 built I think - were early 20th century on the Sierra Ry in California. They were shorter than usual to fit the switchback tail on a particular segment of the Sierra Ry.

Their cuteness factor and size has made them inordinately popular with model railroaders (don't ask me how I know this). 50 ft and longer passenger cars (Overtons are 34 ft) were the norm by the turn of the century even on most narrow gauge railroads. Before Roundhouse made them, Ulrich made them in cast metal (I have those kits too).

yours in cute and small (not me - my trains!)

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
pgandw said:
Actually the Overton cars - there only 2 built I think - were early 20th century on the Sierra Ry in California. They were shorter than usual to fit the switchback tail on a particular segment of the Sierra Ry.

It was probably the only regularly scheduled passenger train that used a shay for motive power! The grades and curves on the Angel's branch of the Sierra were too great for rod engines to handle.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
Walthers / Rivarossi offers an RPO, Baggage, Utility Coach and Utility Combine that are each 60' long - just like their prototypes.

Athearn makes (if I remember right) a 63' RPO, 67' Baggage, and 72' Coach that are prototypical length. They also offer a Diner, Pullman, and Obs car that are 72' long but should really be 80'. Rivarossi/IHC also offer Baggage, RPO, Combine and Coaches that are correctly around 66-70' in length.

BTW you asked about 40' cars...the Burlington actually did have some 40' heavyweight cars they used on some branchlines.