Security fencing

Groove

Dec 30, 2004
anybody know of any companies that make this stuff? I'm looking for the modern chain link stuff but not having much luck with finding any in the UK.

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
Groove....only one place I know of that makes N scale chain link. That's Gold Metal Models. They make 2 chain link fences -- one with gates, one without. Items 160-1 and 160-2. Both versions are toped with barbed wire. They're eched brass and I've gotten items from them before and the quality is usually top-notch.

Here's the link: http://goldmm.com/nscale/gmnsctyp.htm

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
I have seen it scratch built to great effect.

Heavy wire is painted silver, and used as the frame and posts.

A frying pan slatter screen, usually at the local Dollar Store, is cut to size and soldered to the wire frame.

At the top, thread or fishing line is coated in glue and run through very fine silver ballast. the end result resembles barbed (or razor) wire.

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Don't know if Ratio do it in N - they do in OO! You could also try 4DModels, who used to be in City Road London, but have moved to east London - Googly should find them for you - part of their speciality is architectural models, and they might well have some in something close to N scale. Very fine Bridal veil fabric and metal fence posts might work too
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

COX 47

Dec 28, 2004
I have used Brass wire to make a frame. I lay out a template build right on it plan I use solder but you could use super glue. Then get a pair of old womans pantie hose cut out a piece larger than the frame you have built use super glue on frame and stretch over Frame when its dry trim it to size Hit it with some elcheapo rattle can silver paint Weather with a little rust and put it on the layout Cox 47

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Groove - coincidence is a strange thing! Picked up Railway Modeller this am, and on page 188 is a review of Scale Caliber mesh. Stainless steel so it won't solder available in 75mm squares in 6 densities from 28 - 150 threads per running inch at £2.75 per square - I hope you dont need too much!!! You should get about 3 x75mm lengths of fence out of a square
Available from
Cammett Ltd
Adlen House
Eardisland
Leominster
HR6 9BD

Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands HIH

C

Catt

Do they have fabric shops in the UK? What you want is Tulle (pronounced tool) It is wedding veil fabric and comes in many colours and mesh sizes.

Groove

Dec 30, 2004
don't know about sad, but kind of diffrent. Not the sort of thing you see on most peoples layouts.