Securing ground cover

justind

Jul 8, 2001
Provo, UT, USA
I have a plaster base to which I need to affix some ground cover (sand ballast, ground foam, etc). Should I just sprinkle it on the dry plaster and spray with a 70/30 mixture of water and white glue? Or do I wet the groundcover with water and dish detergent, then spray with the glue mixture? Should I add the dish detergent to the glue mixture? Thanks in advance for any help.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by justind
I have a plaster base to which I need to affix some ground cover (sand ballast, ground foam, etc). Should I just sprinkle it on the dry plaster and spray with a 70/30 mixture of water and white glue? Or do I wet the groundcover with water and dish detergent, then spray with the glue mixture? Should I add the dish detergent to the glue mixture? Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Justin,
No need to add the detergent to ground cover glue, just use a 50/50 white wood glue mix and use a big brush to cover the area first, then add your cover material, it will dry overnight and clear, no glue will show.

Shamus

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Ground Cover

Justin,

Just paint the plaster with glue. (be very liberal with it).
Sprinkle ground cover on. (use miltiple colours etc) usually starting with "dirt" colours then build up to grassy type scatter stuff.

I then spray with water to dampen it all down, then drizzle/drip mix of 50/50 water/glue all over this (especially the clumpy bits).

It will look like you have had a snow storm (all white, and wet), but it will dry clear overnight and leave you with groundcover that will not come off. Even kids with nasty fingernails, or vacumm cleaners wont remove it.