sectional roadbed track question....

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by taylorg01, Sep 18, 2007.

1. taylorg01

taylorg01 New Member

My 7yr old son has had this HO track for about 3 years now and we keep adding to it. In January of '06 I finally relented to his requests and built the benchwork to put his track 'on the board', run wires underneath, and all that jazz. Now he is wanting foam structure and such so we can go ahead and add permanent scenry and such.

I've got books, magazines, friends who do this stuff, but no one can tell me how to secure sectional roadbed track to Foam. I'm using 1" stuff to achieve his desired elevation changes and contours for the track path we devised. This track doesn't need a lot of fasteners, but they need to be secure. Right now I use brass screws into the 1/4" plywood top.

Using cork will make the balast bed seem too high (I already think the plastic roadbed is a bit on the tall side). Plus I don't think screws will work with it. I've thought about using a jigsaw to cut some masonite out that fits just inside the outer edges of the sectional track and secure it with adhesive. Then I can predrill the masontie for screws and this would hold, but is a lot of work.

This needs to be secure. My 18-mo-old likes to bump the table and grab things and our 7-mo-old, 70+ lb great dane mix likes to push his nose over it. There are occasionally a couple cats in the vicinity too. No, we won't be doing any power lines or stuff like that when the scenery goes on. Short of electrifying the trim edges, stuff will get moved if it isn't down tight.

When the need arises to R&R a section, I don't want to have to ruin the layout trying to get this stuff out.

Please let me know your thoughts and how I can accomplish this for my youngin.
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

You can secure the roadbed track to the (pink/blue?) foam using latex caulking. But don't goop it on. Spread a thin layer and settle the roadbe into it. That way, you can cut through the bond with a metal putty knife if/when you need to remove it.

The other advantage of the latex caulk is that it is paintable, so can be hidden by scenery if some gets where you don't want it.

If you want to use cork roadbed with regular track instead of the integrated roadbed track, but the profile looks too high, try N scale cork instead. It's about 1/2 the thickness. You will have a gap running down the middle of the track under the ties, but that will not be seen once ballasted. The cork can also be secured to the foam with caulk, and the track to the cork as well. Just be sure to have lots of push pins to hold everything steady while the caulk dries (overnight is usually sufficient).

Good luck with your project!