Secret scratchbuilding weapon

C

Catt

Here's a pic of my favorite scratchbuilding weapon.Do you know what it is?

nibler2.jpg

Give up? It's a nibler,it is used to make whole in control panels(metal) to install switches and lights and meters.It also works in styrene to cut out door ways and windows.

I use this to cut out doorways and windows in any scale I'm working in (as long as the opening is larger than a 1/4".

I bought this one from Radio Shack but I understand that Micro-Mark also has them.In fact any store that sells electronics supplies should have them for under 10 bucks.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Cool!
And to think I've been punchin' & filin' those little holes for all this time!:rolleyes: :D
I'm gonna have to see about gettin' one o' them!
Thanks ol' buddy! :)

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Charlie, those babies bit out a perfect square hole, if you haven't used one, you won't believe it. The only burr you'll get is if you bite out two side by side to get a wider hole, if you don't line it up well. Then you'd just get a lil burr to file off, no biggie. The big one I have does about 1/8 X 1/4 " hole.

C

Catt

Gonna put the origonal post in the sticky as suggested.

Robin ,the weather here is pure #%$@%$^&^$%#$%$.Our front porch and steps are covered with ice.

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Catt, I agree, that is one of the most usefull tools when scratch building. Also in my tool weaponry is a variety of paper punches. Pick them up in my local craft store, usually in the section for scrapbooking. Here pictured are the ones I've collected and used. The sheet of white styrene pictured is .032" thick, and the punches go through it with no difficulty. Have to nurse the punch back out a little as the plastic kind of closes in on the punch. 1/32 is about the maximum for these type of punches, I've punched thicker but did mess up my 1/4 " square one trying to punch .04". Oh and don't forget to save the little punched pieces, they make great detail parts, especially the square jobbies.

Attachments

• mvc-008s.jpg
    mvc-008s.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 211

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Man, Oh Man...The great ideas just flow like who-knows-what around here. Thanks VERY much to Catt and Bill for those great tips. I'll be out looking for some of those babies before too long.

Do "nibblers" make square corners? My biggest problem is a complete inability to create square door and window openings.

Thanks, guys!:) :)