Second Go at Weathering - Box & Crate Factory

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
Hi All:
Took another crack at weathering a laser kit for our N Scale layout. This one is a "Box & Crate Factory" by Northeastern Scale. We have a modeler in our club who is exceptional doing weathering with chalks and powders and he has held a few clinics for our members.
So far I have been using a box of chalk from the local arts and craft store and a box of Doc O'Brien's weathering powders. Using a very short bristle brush and basically dry brushing with chalk or powder seems to work relatively well. I have not had any problem with either sticking to the model and do not plan on spraying with dull coat.
Any constructive critcism is always appreciated.
dwight77
Scale Rails of Southwest Florida
North Fort Myers, FL

Attachments

• Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 015.jpg
    Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 015.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 019.jpg
    Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 019.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 020.jpg
    Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 020.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 11

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Nice laser building first off...and I like the weathering job...the building has that slightly uncared for and well used look to it. Throw some crates and some broken down boxes under the second floor building overhand and you've got a pretty realistic model.

(I'm a big fan of using chalks too...I like the very subtle shading you can get - espicially on Nscale things.)

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
Hi Herc Driver:
Thanks for the comments. I did add some boxes etc. Need everyone's constructive criticism.....to many?...I do want to try and find a couple of people to add possibly having one sit on one of the boxes etc. But before I glue the boxes in place....let me know what you all think.
Thanks
dwight 77

Attachments

• Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 021.jpg
    Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 021.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 022.jpg
    Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 022.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 023.jpg
    Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 023.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 024.jpg
    Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 024.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 8

willy4

Jan 17, 2008
Que Canada
You asked for it.sign1
If this building is around for a while which it looks like, the windows are a little to white and all the metal should have dirt and rust.
And they could have bin just painted. You always have to have a story to tell if somebody asks how come.....................?
Very well done

Bill

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
OK....last set of pictures. Added some rust to the metal, dirtied up the windows a bit, and added a couple of guys and a handtruck. It goes on the layout tomorrow. Next pictures will be of the puzzel module and how it gets scenicked. The basic layout was shown in another thread dealing with the combined Inglenook / Time Saver puzzel module.
dwight77

Attachments

• Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 025.jpg
    Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 025.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 027.jpg
    Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 027.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 11

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
OK....so I lied. :eek:ops:
Here a four more pictures. But they serve a purpose. I took the model in to our club (see the pictures above) and had some of the guys take another look at it...after all, it is going on our layout, so I appreciate all the constructive criticism. Plus, I think this set of pictures from the start of the thread up to now, shows how a model can evolve from just what the kit gives you, to something more. As this was not a proto typical building, it allowed me to wander. Some of the crates and boxes are ones you can buy. But the stacks of black poles, the loose poles, and the green boxes are just scraps of wood cut up and painted.... and in N Scale, I think they pass.
On what I think is the last scenario, I added another person carrying a shoulder load, the guys at the club thought company signs were in order, so there are now company signs on all four sides, and I took the liberty to add a ramp on the back of the building, where there was a door that seemed to be leading to open space. In building the ramp, I also used some 400 grit sandpaper on the incline to provide a slip resitant surface. And of course the signs and ramp had to be weathered.
Anyway, I have had fun in turning a nice kit into something that I think is a little nicer for our layout.
dwight77

Attachments

• Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 028.jpg
    Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 028.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 029.jpg
    Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 029.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 030.jpg
    Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 030.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 031.jpg
    Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 031.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 12

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Wow...I think you did a great job. Espicially for nscale, I appreciate the tedious handwork that must have gone into that. The only other suggestion I could add is adding electricity...exterior light(s), maybe a meter or metal pipe containing the utility line into the building. Finally, a sign indicating the main customer entrance? Just ideas......

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
I know, I know, I know....:eek:ops: I said no more pics. But a couple of great suggestions were made; add electric coming into the building, a sign for the office, and outdoor lighting. I have tried to add all three with the red office sign, the outdoor lighting over the center front of the building, and an electric drop and junction box on the side of the building.
I do appreciate all the suggestions and I do believe it shows how a model can evolve.
It has been fun...:mrgreen:
dwight77

Attachments

• Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 032.jpg
    Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 032.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 033.jpg
    Box & Crate Factory - Northeastern Scale 033.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 9