seattle monorail?

jaijef

Sep 23, 2005
Tennessee
:confused:

Hello all,
I saw where two Seattle monorails clipped each other the other day.
I did not know Seattle had a monorail system.
Are there pics of their trains? not necessarily the one involved in the incident.

Jaijef

silver

Sep 1, 2004
I think there are only the Two trains. They seem be having an incredible stretch of bad luck the last few years. There was a fire in one last year and they had a hard time evacuating. They are the original, quite old Alweg trains that have been going since the 1960's when the World's Fair was here. They are as much a tourist attraction as the Space Needle which was also built for the fair. It almost seems that thier bad luck is linked to the possibility of an expanded and modernized monorail system for a real public transportion system insted of just tourists to the Space Needle, the closer they get to starting this the more often there is a problem on the existing line.

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Having been to this region numerous times I find it amazing that there is something rail related that I did not know about. Perhaps I need to get my head out of the sand.

Oh and by the way, thanks for the thread!

JD

kadidle

Nov 10, 2005
Vaughn MT
www.rail-exchange.com
Sadly it appears that Seattle will not get it a full monorail system. Having lived there for many years, I find in incomprehensible that they voted down the expansion of the monorail. Yes, it had some problems (it's only 40 some years old!) however the expansion of the system certainly would have resolved some of those issues.

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
Yea, sucks that the Bond was voted down, they were planning on upgrading it to a full monorail system that would encompass more of the city.

Guess those seattle people pretty uninformed, either that or they love their Gas Guzzlers a hell of alot.