Searching for an old track plan

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Woody125, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Woody125

Woody125 New Member

For many years I saved books, trackplans, & magazine articles for the day when I retired and could start my railroad. I had a whole box of this reference materal. Unfortunately, the movers lost a couple of boxes, and my MR info is long gone.
    Now that I've retired and eager to get started, I'm trying to locate an older & possibly out of print book of track plans. I don't recall the title. It was magazine-sized and paperback. On the cover was a hand-drawn illustration of a layout, in shades of blue. I believe the illustration also included some graph paper and drafting tools. My particular interest is in two trackplans. One was named "Buckley & Oneida", which was a 4'x8' layout with a sawmill in the center. The other was an around-the-room layout which may have been the cover illustration.
    If anyone has this book, I'd be happy to either buy it whole or pay for trackplan copies, postage, etc.
    Thank you,
  2. Bill Stone

Bill Stone Member

If it was a Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman book --- most of them are still in print. You might check the websites for those mags to see if you can find it.
    Bill S
  3. Woody125

Woody125 New Member

Thanks Bill. That was a good idea. However, I checked both and didn't find it. I've been checking hobby shops and Ebay too, but so far, no luck. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
  4. railohio

railohio Active Member

The Buckley & Onarca, by Bill Baron, originally ran in Model Railroader, probably in the 1970s, and was later reprinted in Track Planning Ideas from Model Railroader by Bob Hayden.
  5. corwinktbt

corwinktbt Old-time steam.

The Buckley & Onarca(4x8 with sawmill) is on pages 20 & 21 of "Track Planning Ideas from Model Railroader 58 track plans from past issues". This doesn't have a hand drawn track plan or graph paper though.

I don't see it on the MR website under their trackplan books, so they might have repackaged it into something else. You might want to give them a call as someone there should know which books its in now.
  6. railohio

railohio Active Member

I doubt it's been republished in any other books. I know Kalmbach has dropped many of their older titles from publication lately. You should be able to find one, or the original issue it was in, at a swap meet for pocket change.
  7. Woody125

Woody125 New Member

Thanks Guys. I appreciate you're taking the time to fill me in. My memory is a little weak on the details, but that's the plan that I was thinking of. Cornwinkbtb, would it be possible to get a photocopy of those two pages from you to get me going until I can locate a copy of that book?
  8. Woody125

Woody125 New Member

Oops! Disregard. Armed with the correct book title and Google, I've located an online source and have ordered a copy. Thanks again, Thom
  9. boatman909

boatman909 Member

I was also searching for this layout plan, and I came across an advert in MR (April 1991) by Dunham Studios for a ready-build version of the layout. I tracked down the company's web site, and low and behold, they still offer this (it's now the Mark III version). On the web page for the layout there is a track plan...

Unfortunately it does not give any indication of gradients and scenery heights. Hope this of help to others.