Sea Launch!

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Stev0, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I'm watching this National Geographic special about a movable sea going launch platform.

This is a win for both shipping AND real space modelers alike.

2 Ships. One a Oil rig like platform and the other a Ro-Ro like ship. The idea is to launch satellites at the equator. Also the since the rocket is shot already at that point the satellite can maintain more on board fuel to stay in orbit longer.

Sea Launch Home Page

This would be an amazing card model.
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Have seen that documentary before, any takers?
  3. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

I love the drilling platforms, and it could be wonderful to join a space launcher model with a platform model like this that I found at JSC on line store.

Who is the hero who self engages in this endeavour?

:mrgreen: Nando

Attached Files:

4. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I remember seeing that show a while back and thought that would be a heck of a model if someone could design both of the ships and the lift vehicle. :)
  5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

...with the details matching that of the LUT... too much to expect perhaps :D
  6. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

To be really brave we need a platform that matches Leo's Zenit booster model. That would be super hot ( and big ! ) looking.
  7. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

When I first looked at this thread I thought it was another one of those "one day we're going to build something that does THIS!!!" type dreams... I had no idea the thing actually exists and has thrown tons and tons of crap into space... thanks for the headsup, that docco was worth the watch.
  8. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

You caught the Documentary? I WAS awesome to watch. I'm amazed at what can be accomplished by merely shooting something into space at the Equator verses anywhere else.

I think a waterline kit would be amazing.
  9. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I think a radio controll fully featured model that launches model rockets from the local lake would be somewhat spectacular also :D

I was lucky to catch a rerun of the docco at a friends place a week or so ago, it reminded me how much I miss channels like Discovery and National Geo etc. Cable TV in Australia just isn't worth the money they charge for it.