SD70 Spartan cabs

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I read a recent ad for an HO scale SD70 that included comments about the NS being a frugal road that ordered Spartan cabs instead of "North American" comfort cabs for their EMD SD70s. What do you crew members think of the Spartan cabs? Are they pretty cramped compared to the others? I'm not that familiar with modern cabs and got to wondering. It was interesting to see reference to company purchasing decisions in the ad copy.
Thanks!
Ralph

WM-N-fan

I believe IC ordered some Spartan cabs too. Too bad CN absorbed them. There were still several dozen (I believe) delivered.

On a personal note, I prefer the Spartan cab. I don't like the desk top controls, IMHO they were laid out backwards. The Spartan cab wasn't the cheap option when NS bought them. The reasoning for getting them, and IC's too, was the use on locals and trains that do a lot of work. It really boils down to what you are used to. Since I run the old control stand every day on the yard job, I like them. Engineers that have not run the old control stand very often tend to like the desk top better. As far as room is concerned, with just a conductor and engineer, the Spartan cab is fine. Also, I seem to remember Florida East Coast getting some Spartan cab SD70's.

Greg Elems

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Greg,
Thanks for the reply. I always appreciate getting insights about railroad equipment from the folks that actually operate them! Interesting stuff!
Ralph