Sd.Kfz. 9 Famo (Angraf 5/2005)

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ekuth

God help us... I'm gonna nominate you for sainthood before this thing is done. Teeny tiny parts galore, and you make it look easy.

Very clean build.

snake7

Thank you doctormaxart, Rick and ekuth

as for your questions, Rick:
first of all check your inbox ;)

on the other matter, the trailer was planed as a separate model, coming after this one, and they even did a test build but eventually dropped the idea, i don't know why.Maybe because it was too complicated, maybe because of low sells of this model..

about tires - nothing special, i build it by instructions, but after i finished gluing the tires a sanded the edges, to get them more round and realistic, i cut the picture of tire perimeter by lines, to imitate the real ditches and painted the whole tire in black.

That's not good, they sell the tractor w/o the trailer:curse:?????? After all this is the main function of this beast, to haul equipment to wit: knocked out and or damaged tanks! And as I have now seen and experienced, this company seems to have an issue w/producing kits that go together w/o problems:curse:. That is the reason for their lack of sales!!!!!!!:eek: I admit they do produce top notice printed models:thumb:, but their beta builds must not get incorporated into the finial product:cry:. Too bad, they could be King of the Hill if they paid attention!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

snake7

i must disagree with you about tractor without a trailer
it's not a Dragon Wagon, where tractor without a trailer do not have much purpose
Famo 9 had a powerful tow hook that can drag tank by itself (for the fact: minimum 3 Famo 9 18 ton tractors were needed for dragging one Tiger :) )
also it had truck body and could transport big amount of parts and equipment and of course soldiers

and my opinion about amount of mistakes in the model: it's simple - the model too big and too complex to actually design a perfect matching one

The Dragon Wagon could also pull a tank w/o trailer as well. I will admit that the DW could not transport 30 troops as the Famo could, but lets face reality, the design bureau for the German war machine did not need another 1/2 track APC, they had more than enough already, what they did need was a vehicle for recovery and that is where the design of the Famo comes into play, and that did just as w/DW included a trailer. I agree the vehicle was a monster that could more than do the job, all I am saying is, what a disappointment to produce the tractor, key word here is tractor which is the vehicle's designated nomenclature, and that means a trailer was a part of the equipment. Even though the vehicle could op independent from it! I believe I did read Angraf did produce the trailer in very limited numbers, but did not produce because of difficulty to build. For me, I would love to have that trailer w/a tank setting on pulled by the Famo, then we would get the full picture of what this beast really was. For those who have seen the Dirty Dozen, the original version, that is a Famo they drive off in.:wave:Rick

snake7

there is a point in what you saying
I am also disappointed that Angraf decided not to publish the trailer... but i think the time i finish the tractor maybe they change their mind :D

cp1963

This is am impressive build. I have to ask, where does a person buy this model?
My jaw hit the floor when I saw your work. Thanks for showing us.

I do wish to make a correction, I hole heartedly agree w/snake7 in that the kit is not unbuildable, but a complex build that is daunting in its approach to this subject. Angraf produces some of the best kits out there, I also have numerous trains and the Pt47 is a work of art and very complex. I hope I have not in anyway discouraged you in this most excellent build of the Famo.:wave:Your friend, Rick

snake7

Elliot, cp1963: thank you!
Rick: you didn't! :) i put to myself a target and pointed it as a challenge, to finish this model, no matter what. i think i almost on the half of a build. i know that there will be more mistakes in the future and i will need probably one more year to finish the whole monster, but i know that is possible, because i saw finished one.
now i work hard on the remaining track wheels and i will update with pictures
and thank you all for taking interest in my build!

Then you saw the same thing I did, a completed and well detailed Famo as produced from an Angraf kit, and lets face it, if he can do it, then you can and I can. Good attitude snake7 and I look everyday to see if you have posted for this excellent build.:wave:Rick

pahorace

Hi Igor,
I really admire your patience and above all the order, with which to build this magnificent model.:thumb:
Thanks for sharing.

Orazio

thokamous

you have done a fantastic job with this thing i dont suppose anyone knows where i could find a 1/100 scale version of this one for gaming purposes?

snake7

thank you guys for kind words
finished the outer track wheels and assembled them in pairs
in a few days i will put the monster on its legs

Attachments

• 153.JPG
    153.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 154.JPG
    154.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 155.JPG
    155.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 156.JPG
    156.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 25

Elliott

Hi Igor. Around here you have what we call stick-to-it-iveness (the determination and ability to continue working on something even when it's repetitious or boring). The outer track wheels really look good! :thumb:

snake7

thank you Elliot
in process...
also found useful tool, pizza plate :)
very handy, because it turns 360 degrees
i can glue the track wheels and align them with comfort

Attachments

• 157.JPG
    157.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 33

snake7

i was so happy that i almost finished endless amount of wheels, that i forgot about bags, as i usually post them after every block assembly, so...

bugs:
all holes for the axis in all details of track wheels are to big! - i cut out little ones that fit the axes
part 52c - gluing place for part 52l big in diameter about 2 mm - painted the white
parts 53f and 53g missing - printed from scan, because those parts are same as 51f and 51g
part 53i i hidden far far in the end of the book, on page 32, one with yellow boxes -good that i found it :)

snake7

well, i finished to mount the track wheels!
you must to adjust the angle of the chaises arms by frame that stands on front wheels and put the track wheels on tracks, because they too have height

i already started drive track wheels. you can see some parts cut out on the last picture

Attachments

• 158.JPG
    158.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 20
  • 159.JPG
    159.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 160.JPG
    160.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 161.JPG
    161.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 162.JPG
    162.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 20
  • 163.JPG
    163.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 24

Elliott

And there you go! It's starting to look like a model now! :cool:

I hope the worst is over for you now. The boring repetitious parts anyhow. Keep at it my friend, this is going to be one heck of a model!:thumb::thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.