SD.Kfz 250/3 Greif GPM 1:16

Status
Not open for further replies.

josve

Oct 21, 2005
Odda Norway
If it hadn't been for the paint numbers on the back of the box......the result would have been a real mess!
But luckily I had all the colors from Humbrol, and I used a color convert table to get the right ones in place :)

Weeks goes pretty fast.....
But just a small update so you don't think I'm doing nothing :)

The tracks and wheels takes some time to accomplish.
The work is kind of slow....my speed is about 5-10 tracks assembled and painted each day, and a wheel or two.

Tracks...37 made so far

Wheels.
One side completed

josve

Oct 21, 2005
Odda Norway
Juhuuu!!
Finally got the tracks done on one side!!
I will do the last touchup on the tracks when I have completed the other side.

And I also put the back door on.

C

cgutzmer

WOW! I havent been following as close as normal lately but glad I popped in for a looksy!
Chris

TankMurderer said:
will this kill me???
I kind of doubt that!
I would like to suggest that since your new to this, that you try some less daunting models, something a little bit easier till you build up your skills.

It's sort of like jig-saw puzzles. If you give someone a 10,000 piece kit as thier first one, they will probably quit in frustration.
You need to start out a little smaller.
Check the "Internet Finds" Forum where you can get a ton of free models for download.
A lot of the freebies are as good or better than ones you pay for!

Russell

Stev0

Jan 30, 2006
josve said:
Thanks guys!!

Maybe thats because they are lasertracks :) :)

CHEETAR!!!! ... lve how time can stand still on a tank build when one hits tracks ... :D

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Actually I thoght I was looking at the pics of a real halftrack! Excellant work, more detail on one of them tracks then an aircrafts whole landing gear!

josve

Oct 21, 2005
Odda Norway
Thanks for your nice feedback guys!!

Amazyah said:
Aha, you pulled a fast one on me!
I thought you were cutting your own.

I guess even the laser tracks take a while.
You still have to cut them loose and clean, paint, and assemble them.

Still some beautiful work, Johnny, as always!

Russell

LOL I just couldn't resist Russell!!

The lasertracks also takes a while to do.But the result when it's done is unbeaten IMHO
It's mainly me....slow builder.....that makes this build so long :)
But now I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnell!!

Steve!
Yes I'm a cheetar :)
But a happy one!!
I think there are models that allows you to make individual tracks out of parts in the kit, but this one did not.So I was talking to Rafal at DrafModel and he made me some sets...actually he made 3 sets before we were happy with them.
I have seen the Greif with the standard tracks, and I didn't like them.You could see that it wasn't made out of individual links and looked a bit "dead" if you get my point.To flat and not the look I wanted.
So if there are laserparts available for the models I'm going to build, I'm not going to hesitate a second on ordering the parts :)

Dang Johnny, you must have given Rafal an awful lot of business!
He is really going out of his way to keep you happy!

Modeling is fun but I must agree, the tracks can really seem to take the fun out of it, especially if they don't look right after all that work.

I don't blame you a for using laser parts, Johnny. They help keep this hobby fun!

Russell

josve

Oct 21, 2005
Odda Norway
Yes I might put some work upon him, but I guess he wouldn't have sold many of the Greif tracks if they wasn't fitting :)
So I just helped a bit to get them right.

You are right about building tracks....it can take the fun out of it.But for me it's not that way.It's something to do about the way you approach the job.
1.You know it's some dull work involved
2.You know it's going to take a while
3.You know it's picky work
4.You know it's going to look really good when it's done :)
5.Repeat nr 4 as many times neccessary to get you going!!

I'm a simple soul and for me laserparts is just parts of paper.....
There will be enough cutting and building parts in a model anyway.
I just see it as something that makes the build a bit easier and time saving.
(the time saving thing doesn't count when talking about tracks)
But thats also depends on the tracks.....

Scott S.

Apr 9, 2007
Looks good josve, I have this kit on order and I was wondering if the tracks are for sale and if so where in the USA can I get them.

josve

Oct 21, 2005
Odda Norway
Thanks Scott!

The tracks are in sale, but I'm not sure where you can get them over there!
Maybe Russell or one of the other guys knows??

alfadoc

Jan 3, 2006
Absolutely inspiring! Just what I was talking about!(see my post "Why bother?") I've put off building a tank because of the tracks, I mean, I can hardly stand building a radial engine with only 18 cylinders(I HATE repetition!). But seeing what is possible courtesy of you and Drafmodel, I'm gonna try one. Any suggestion as to one Drafmodel has lasercut tracks for?

Status
Not open for further replies.