SD 14 General Cargo Ship

Z

Zathros

I would seriously consider putting a film wrap, and making a fiberglass plug out of that. You could sell the Hulls to R/C modellers!

'

reklein

Jun 11, 2008
Lewiston ID
WOW!! I have been looking at this model for years but have never bitten on buying it. Building something like this is a hobby all by itself.Therefore I will enjoy it vicariously from afar. BILL in Idaho USA

romanmodels

Mar 11, 2008
devizes wiltshire england
Thanks Anthony344 and Reklien
well whilst building the model up to this point it was bugging me that there was no engine model seemed empty especially in the engine room so using some plans reproduced in John Lingwood's book. That showed the engine drawn in on a centreline section I was able to make a basic model of it so the following are the different views of the engine. The first attempt I abandoned as I used the wrong card it was that hard coloured card didn't like to be scored and didn't like to be bent. I did find some card similar to the Manila the rest model is made out of only a bit thinner and had a retry of the engine adding in a catwalk and making steps leading up from the base the engine room to the catwalk round the middle of the engine,with a connection to the engineering flat and I have made two ladders that will lead up to the access to the engine room from the first floor of the accommodation block.
small57.JPG
small58.JPG
small59.JPG
small60.JPG

Z

Zathros

I have built and blue printed many engines in my day. The idea of having a catwalk halfway up the engine boggles my mind!

You are doing a wonderful job on this. Every time I look at this thread's pictures I find myself thinking,"Oh, so that's how it's done!". :)

romanmodels

Mar 11, 2008
Thanks zathros the engine is about 30 feet high
first off the engine installed in the engine room
DSCN0068_small.JPG

all the main deck longitudinal beams are in place
small61.JPG

starting at the stern all the transverse main deck beams are being put in place.
small62.JPG

with the transverse deck beams in place I had a guide to help get the frames in the right place the next two stern views show these frames in place.
small63.JPG

small64.JPG

transverse deck beams in place up to number one hold.
small66.JPG

same progress but taken from the stern.
small67.JPG

sorry about the orange colour must take this one with the lights on all the deck beams in place and the forecastle bulkhead in place.
small68.JPG

romanmodels

Mar 11, 2008
Thanks
I've been a bit lax in posting some more SD14. Not so much text this time the first picture is a follow on from the last the last post but looking at the show from the bow's .
small69.JPG

forward main deck in place
small70.JPG

forecastle deck in place and deck plates being made along the outside of the midsection.
small71.JPG

close-up view of the forecastle.
small72.JPG

looking towards the stern.
small73.JPG

Main deck plates complete this picture shows the stern.
small74.JPG

we now move on to applying the hull plates as I started laying the deck from the bow's to the stern I started plateing the hull from stern to bow. The bilge plates were applied first as they overlap the bottom plates. The side plates then all lie flush with each other.the picture shows the start of the plating around the propeller. I have lost some of my pictures of this part of the build I hadn't realised that the camera numbers had gone back to 0.
small75.JPG

small76.JPG

the hull plating on the midsection above the bilge plates was made up of two single pieces shown in the next two pictures, I did the midsection after the bit of stern plating shown in the two previous pictures. As I decided it was easier to fit the smaller plates used at the bow and stern to the larger midsection plates.you can see the smaller plates of the bow section in the first picture below.
small77.JPG

small78.JPG

this next picture is a bit blurry but shows the plates been applied to the port side of the bow. Glueing the hull plates on used a lot of 2 inch wide masking tape.also see in this picture on the naval tubes that take the anchor chain through to the side of the ship I have left them overlong so I can fit the plates around them and trim them flush before fitting the doubling plate around the hole.
small79.JPG

The final picture is looking straight on at the bow.
small80.JPG

Z

Zathros

Incredible. I did not realize you had platted so much of the hull. The lines a so fair. I wish more designers would look at this to see where the general error of boat designs lie these days. So many designers try and leave details to the printing process, but this loses the real depth and beauty of the subject they model. This is wonderful! :)