Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by GEEDUBBYA, Feb 28, 2005.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Hey Guys,

I am having some troubles, I would really like to see this *.3ds model become a card model, but I use "anim8or" 3d modeling software and pepekura. This 3d model is highly detailed all the way to the lug nuts and wipers and so "pep" really isnt good for unfolding it without some major changes to the 3d version (too many unfolds).
    Is there anyone out there who would like this file with the intent of possibly considering creating a card model of it?
    If so, email me at and I will send it on to you. But, like I said, I would really love to see this think come into "being" as a card model. All of the different "parts" or meshes are seperatable from the main body. you can break it down by removing the missile, the cab, the 2nd section, 3rd, cradle wheels, glass, rims, etc and so on. This is a case of TMI (too much information).
    Below are screenshots of the 3d model again it is in .*3ds format

2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi GW,

classic case of the model being designed for another purpose! That said, it looks an impressive model and would definitely be worth trying to convert it to a paper kit. Is this your work? Neat!

You could tackle this in several ways. If it is already a mesh model, there are some software tools which will do a 'polygon reduction' process, and this might be good for simplicating some of the major components. You may well have to just delete a lot of the smaller items, if these are seperate on the model. Otherwise, you are going to have to edit the meshes directly, and that might take a while. Also, a number of the parts, the missile itself, and possibly the wheels and tyres, might just be quicker to model again from scratch, but in a simplified form. You could probably use the existing model and 'trace' a simplified structure over the top.

I am really busy right now, but if no-one else chimes up, I will certainly have a closer look at the file if you want.

This is a good example of where an impressive looking model which is perfect for rendering or animation, is just too much for paper model design. You really do have to have a good idea of how the paper model will go together BEFORE you start. The programs don't help, as it is usually very easy to add more and more detail. You have to know when to stop!

Excellent project, do keep us posted!

Tim P

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Yes, there is some old saying about "something" being in the details..... i dont remember it off hand, but it couldnt be good lol.
    But, I think there are several ppl out there that would like to see a scud and TEL (transporter, erector, launcher) as a card model kit, there was someone asking last week about one which is where I got the idea to post this one in the hopes someone could help me out.
    I have never produced a card model kit and it dont look like i will be anytime soon. But I can dream.

ps. this was a collaborative effort between myself and an engineer friend of mine, so i must give him equal billing and express thanks to John G.

pss. Could you name a few tools that might reduce the polygons? and Yes, all the parts are "meshes" and can all be dis-mantled or "exploded" i was at a loss for space on the above screenshots in order to keep the "exploded view" on one shot.

psss. Already had a few "takers" who wanna give a "go" at it, please email me at the above email addy if anyone wants to take a shot at it.
  4. scudbusted

scudbusted loopy lurker

I've got the SCUD MISSLE parts available!

HI! My name is Eric! :)

I used to mostly cater to the model rocket folks, but to be honest, they don't understand card kits! :( SO; after getting a bit beat up over on that site of the house- I brought myself and my toys with me, over to this side of the house. I'm giving them away for free now, after I rasied some money for some charities with them. I have the SSC-1-D SCUD "C", and the Iraqi AL-HUSSEIN scud variant ready to go! I'm working on the "B" model now. The best and coolest part is, that they're also engineered to take commercialy bought rocket motors and actually launch! They are 1/22- well- 1/21.93-something scale. I included as much rear details as I know how to make. I'm still learning and getting better. I want to build the MAZ Transport to fit them. um- I can't find a picture-sorry!
    ANyway- HI, and where can i upload them to you all?
  5. billmcc

billmcc Member

Hi Eric,

Welcome to the group. Where in Florida do you live?
    I live in Deland.

There is a "Free Models" area in the "Parts Bin" section of this website. Upload your models there. Note: What you upload won't appear in the listing until Ron or Rick approve the files for downloading.
  6. Maurice

Maurice Member

Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

7. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Sorry Geebubbya, I missed this one! Rhino version 3 (I should be on commission with Robert Neel and Associates!) has some excellent mesh control tools, including a very effective mesh reduction tool. Surprising when Rhinoceros is designed as a NURBS surface modeller. The controls for generating meshes from the surface models are second to none as well. In a recent prototyping trade magazine reviewing stl file generation, Rhino beat the likes if Catia, Pro-E, NX and others, all progs that would set you back tens of thousands.

If you still need some assistance with this, let me know. I'd love to see this model finished!

Catch you later,

Tim P
  8. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

I belive what you are trying to say is "The Devil is in the details.". Felling better but not 100%.
    I am sorry to see that some people get way to serious about things. GEEDUBBYA got me to come over to this site after I got feed up with a few people on another list. Glad to have you abord and I think you will like the group.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy again, Dave, Wun, and Eric,

Yeah I sweet talked Dave over here after seeing a posting on another email forum. I also Emailed Eric, who I also found thru that same email forum (we all know which one) and emailed him and offered him to visit here thru his email on his website when he made the announcement he was going out of business. But Eric has some nice looking rockets on his site, and I couldnt see anyone with tat much talent quitting. So lets all make Eric feel at home. At the time I emailed Eric, from what I gathered, He was looking for another "outlet" for his models and I suggested that He come by here, get to know a few folks and show off his work, and told him that we have other designers here who might be able to help him out. I am glad to see he did finally relent and make an appearence here. So stop by and look at his work.
    Dave on the oterhand, was already a member of this forum, but had only been here once or twice when I met him. But I am glad to see that he too is becoming a more frequent member.
    So anyway, everyone welcome these guys, and make em' feel at home.
    And last but not least, yes wunwinglow, if you would like the files, lemme know and I will break out the old "etch-a-sketch" (my desktop, I am on my laptop now) and send em' to ya.

10. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

GW, thanks, I'll look out for them.

Eric, neat site, neat models. You will find a very appreciative (if, sometimes. a bit cryptic...) audience on this forum. Always glad to see some design talant added to the pot!

Maurice, are you making a model of Ellis Island, or something? Cool....

Tim P
  11. Maurice

Maurice Member

No Tim. I'm just one of the early settlers welcoming the latest migrants.
  12. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Maurice, I've just had a lightbulb moment!! Thanks for that!

Tim P

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Oh Gawd, get behind something heavy, Tim is thinking

j/j GW
  14. scudbusted

scudbusted loopy lurker

Hey GEED!
    I'll shoot you an email, and you can shoot me those MAZ cad's I'll see what I can do IMMEDIATELY! Like I already said, I'm working on the "B" model, so I may well as go for a matched set! IT'll be big! Almost 2 feet, or just over 1/2 meter when it's all scaled out.
    Eric- Oh yeah- Here's a pic of a SCUD I did. It's the EXACT size of the model "C", but before I could get cad drawings for one. I had to 'best guess' alot of stuff based on reading alot of material. I'm surprised I got as close as I did. I'll try to upload my stuff in the parts bin for ya'll- btw BILL- I'm over in Williston :)
    thanks ya'll! :)
  15. scudbusted

scudbusted loopy lurker

and thanks again for the invite over to here!
    Here's a close up of the exhaust/tail sections one is the "B" model style, with the silver (actually grey) circle, and the other is the "C" model style :)
  16. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Scud and MAZ TEL Vehicle

Hi All! Just checking to see if there have been any new developments on this front!
  17. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

18. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Anyone know of any scale drawings of this vehicle? I know Dragon did a plastic kit of it some time ago.

Tim P (sorry, Dumbcluck's the name, Dumbclucking's the game!)

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Tim,

Well, I can ask my buddy if he still has his drawings, but it may take awhile for me to get them. (He moved out of town recently and I know the drawings he had were large and I am sure still packed away).
    I can look on the net for ya, but I cant promise anything. I will let ya know what I come up with.
    Have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  20. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Thanks Greg, I still have the file you sent a while ago, so I was wondering if there was any further data available to 'paperise' that data. I did find a lot of pictures somewhere, but no decent drawings.

I'd be very interested if you do turn anything up

Tim P (aka Dumbcluck)