Screwed up, need G help, not O

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ezdays, Nov 24, 2007.

1. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

In a different thread I asked for some help and said I had an O scale train I wanted to run under the Christmas tree. I knew better, I have a G scale set, I just wasn't thinking.:oops: :oops: Let's face it, even HO scale is considered large scale to us N scale guys, so it's easy to get confused.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OK, let's start again with my question:

I've got this G scale engine, tender and two passenger cars that I got as a gift last Christmas. I want to run it under the tree this year. Will it run in a tight circle or will I need some straight track too?

I've got 12 pieces (actually 11 and I need to buy one morewall1) of 30 degree track giving me a 48" circle. I don't want to add any straight if I don't need to, although I have enough to do it if necessary. I'm just limited on room around the tree.

Also, what do you guys use to hold the track together? I'll be running it on the carpet, nothing under the track if I don't have to.:confused: :confused: I can stop by the Hobby Bench tomorrow and pick up anything I need, including that one section of curved track.:rolleyes:

I already asked N Gauger, and he doesn't think it will run too good directly on the carpet (but then again, I told him I was using O gauge).:cry: I need other opinions... Not that Mikey's isn't valid,:mrgreen: I'd like to know if anyone else has been successful without a plywood base under the tracks.:wave: :wave:

I think I have all my facts straight now, but don't count on it.:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  2. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

Gee, a rug

For a few weeks I believe you could run on carpet. But, how deep or thick is the nap? Secondly, find a cardboard box big enough to cut sections a tad wider than the track. That would eliminate mucho problems. Thirdly, a dab of caulk on each section should hold it in place. Forthly- -fourthly - - uh , next, on a 48" diameter track, an LGB 2-4-0 will run, otherwise it better be 0-4-0 or you got problems.

I care for, or tend to 2 G tracks at a pediatric clinic that run all day, every day. Some straightaways, but 4' curves on each end. Aristocraft 2-4-2s are history. LGB 2-4-0 still running, as are Aristocraft 0-4-0 diesels. This has gone on for a year and a half. That is all my experience tells me, so you take it from there. I hope somebody else knows more than I do.

Good luck
  3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Thanks for the response. I've got a Bachmann 4-6-0 w/tender. From what you're saying, I should put some straight track in there. If I use both passenger cars I guess it's going to be chasing it's tail unless I do. I can always try it out and see how they run, basically all I was after is some advice as to what works and what doesn't. I was hoping that there were some kind of clips to hold the rail sections together, I can just see them constantly coming apart otherwise. If I need to use your cardboard suggestion, I should be able to fix the tracks to it.

I guess that's kind of a large scale to run under a Christmas tree, but we don't have kids at home or pets, just grandkids that come over to visit. Since they are the ones that gave me this train last year, I feel a strong need to set it up.:thumb:

Thanks again, if anyone else has any suggestions or experience in this, I'd appreciate your comments...:wave: :wave:
  4. trainnut65

trainnut65 Member

If you are going to run it under the tree and on carpet put down a tree skirt and try to keep the track on it. This will help keep the carpet dust out of the loco. and running it in a four are five foot loop is ok the Bachmann big hauler sets comes with a four are five foot loop of track. I am running mine on this same set up and it has not been any trouble as of yet. But the loco don't get run a lot just at Christmas time and it mite run five are six hour a year at the most. But some straight track would be cool to have in there and would not hurt anything at all.
  5. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

sign1sign1 Now that it mysteriously grew to "G" -- They have Atlas track that screws together.. Tiny screws - so you have to be patient :) and careful...

Also - they sell Rail Clamps that are fantastic for just what you want to do... but they are a "few Bucks"... They work on any type "G" track too....
  6. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

I was thinking that would be the case. I just came back from the Hobby Bench, about a seven-mile drive from the house, but we were in the area anyway.... We got there about 9:15... they don't open until 11 on Sunday.:curse: :curse:

Geeze, with all this talk about holiday sales going to be sluggish. one would expect they'd open around 4 AM on Sunday and stay open the rest of the week....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  7. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

"G" whiz

If you just want to use a circle of track, I think that will do just as well as an oval. I used B'mann locos the first year at the clinic, and I said never again. Running 8 hours a day, day after day, is different. Also, with a clean track, I smear Wahls clipper oil on about 6-8 inches, and it is amazing the difference. With a 4-6-0, I highly recommend the oil (which I didn't use at the time), and I believe you should have a jolly good time.

8. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Okey dokey, I managed to pick up a package of G scale rail clips and got my tracks together... yeah, actually ran the engine under the tree using a short oval.:wave: :wave: Now I gotta make it look a bit more Christmassy..

Got one question, just out of curiosity. It's one of tolerances, or perhaps I bought the wrong clips:confused:... The clips I bought have a double "T" on each end and the picture shows it fitting in the grove under the end ties. First of all, they wouldn't fit in the slot until I made the slot deep enough to hold the clip. Secondly, the end ties are suppose to fit in between the double T. On some it did, on some they were too close together to fit like that and others were so far apart that I wasn't sure the clip would stay in place. Basically, what I'm saying is that the space between the two end ties wasn't consistent between track sections to have any confidence that the clips wouldn't fall out. I finally wound up hot-melt gluing one end of the clip to keep it secure. They are indeed keeping the track sections together.:thumb: :thumb:

I'm OK now, but the burning question I have, is this normal for G scale? On N scale I always solder my rail joiners to the tracks, but these G scale tracks don't really look like they're designed to do that and I didn't want to do that anyway. I didn't have much choice in clips, these and some metal ones.

I'm happy right now, but still wondering.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  9. N Gauger

It's because of the different manufacturers of track -- which is why i use wire ties instead of those "t's :)

I thought you said you were going to use wire??? LOL
  10. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

I was until you told me about those clips...:twisted: :twisted:

Oh, that's another reason why I don't buy much at the Hobby Bench, just about every time I buy something there, I wind up "making do" with what I bought.wall1

Oh yeah, they are the only shop open on Sunday here.:cry:
  11. N Gauger

sign1sign1sign1 Yeah - but you didn't use the clips either hehehehe
  12. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Ahh, but I did, I just had to hot-melt glue them on one side..:p :p So far it seems to be working that way.:thumb: :thumb:
  13. N Gauger

I meant the rail joiner clamps :) :) It doesn't matter - just so it works :thumb::thumb::thumb:
  14. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

My LGB has served under the Christmas tree for 22 years without any need for clips...directly on the carpet. Our Bachmann 4-6-0 was one of the old battery powered ones...hence emphasis on the was. The double t clips work with LGB brand track. Never had a need to solder the track together.

Those Bachmann 4-6-0s are classics for garden railroading. They are regarded as cheap locomotives which can be re-geared and re-powered.
  15. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

The tracks are Bachmann, and the only way I could get those double "T" clips to work was to hot-melt glue one end, otherwise they'd fall out. Hey, a decent workaround, since I'm running on them. About 2/3 of the track is on the tree skirt, the rest on carpet. I just wonder why a hobby shop sells Bachmann track and LGB clips though. I'm assuming Bachmann makes clips for their track, why not carry it???:confused:

Boy, I'm finding out all sorts of things on this set. I was wondering what the battery in the tender was for and the red switch in the engine....synchronized "Chug-chug" sound, something you'll not get that easy on N scale. Also, batteries for passenger car lights. And a smoke generator that I doubt that I'll try that out, but it's neat knowing it does it.

For me, that's all I need, or want to know about G scale. Maybe when my eyes get to the point where I can't work in N scale, I'll either think about giving up the hobby or going to G scale...:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  16. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Don, I wouldn't worry about the clips unless it becomes a problem. After 22 years, only a few rail joiners are loose enough to even consider using the clips.

Anyways, here's what you need...

It would look great in your Arizona backyard.
  17. N Gauger

He could use it to chase Scorpions!!! :D :D

It would definitely outlast any lifetime warranties!!!! Because it would never get used!! :D :D :D :D
  18. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Now I don't want to appear ignorant, but what's that train doing to all that marshmallow?:confused: :confused: Or is that whipped cream? :cry: :cry: Geeze, how confusing, if we had that stuff on the ground it would be baked in no time.sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1