Screw Punch & 6 bits $2.25

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by B-Manic, May 26, 2007.

1. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Mine arrived this morning, works very well, but will benefit from a drop of 3 in 1 oil on the cam track . The cutting tool rotates as you push down on the handle, so you get a very clean-cut disc, but there is a little bit of distortion around the hole; nuthing a quick push with a thumb wouldn't flatten out, but waybe a smear of thin glue on the cut edge would stop the card delaminating in the future. The tools are cylindrical, with a taper on the outside, so this disdortion is inevitable, but it would be easy to turn up some replacements with parallel outsides and the taper to the cutting edge on the inside. Perfect holes, but squished discs!

Neat tool though, very handy. With a purpose-made handle for pushing down upon. Safely. In the manner in which it was intended to be used. Oh yes....

PS my eight year old daughter just had a go, and it worked perfectly for her too! So you don't need to be immensely heavy (like me) or strong (unlike me.)
  2. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Thanks for the detailed reviews!
  3. shrike

shrike Guest

Mine showed up this afternoon. I think I ordered it a day or two after the thread started, so figure that interval for other US buyers.

Little beastie works a treat on 1mm card. I haven't had a chance to try it on a real project yet
  4. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

Well I started the thread immediately after ordering the punch. I just got it today, first in, last out I guess,

At any rate, this baby works great. I am very happy with it. I'll have to keep my eye out for add-on punches/cutters.

The only problem I see is being careful not to punch right through my cutting mat. This thing goes through 2mm paper like a hot knife through butter.
  5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Ditto that on the cutting mats. I've been using an old wooden platter under it since I saw what it did to my older cutting mat.
  6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

When I was in the Navy we would use a lead plate to put the gasket paper on when we used punches to make the bolt holes. Worked great. The soft lead did not damage the edge on the gasket hole punches. I don't recommend licking your fingers afterward, though.:nope: :)

You can probably find some lead flashing at a home improvement store.:)
  7. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Wife ordered mine this week.
    Would cutting using glass as the backing cause the punches to dull more quickly?
  8. B-Manic

I don't know about dulling the blades but unless it is a very thick piece of glass it may break/shatter. Operating the device involves a significant amount of pressure applied to a very small area.

After a little practice I have found that a piece of doubled bristol board works great.
  9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I've been using a setting mat that is made by a company called "Making Memories".
    I found it at Hobby Lobby in the scrapbooking area.
    It is like a hard neoprene rubber mat about 4" x 4" but with a 3" x 3" grid printed on it.
    It was about $5 and works great, no dulling.

10. DrBill

DrBill Member

I tried a scrap piece of 1/8" masonite, but it seemed a little too soft. A piece of formica (leftover from a kitchen counter installation) works very well. The punch drills into it just a little bit, but no dulling.
  11. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Gang: I just ordered mine today, based on your enthusiastic recommendations.

Then I salvaged the formica-covered cutout from our new bathroom vanity top to use as a work surface!!

The next SCUD is for all of you!!

12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

ok.......... my two cents.

I ordered one of these........... also got the other type......... not the really expensive one but the one that was on ebay a while back.

this one uses a different size of bit than the other.......... it's just a little smaller.

the cutting stroke is a bit different, but if you don't have the other one to compare it won't matter.

for the money................ this is a pretty good deal.

BUT......... I like the other one better..............I guess because I had it first, and it seems to have a smoother cutting stroke.

Really neat that this was found for us to use in our hobby, and again I belive that once you get one of these you will enjoy being able to punch holes very neatly and exactly where you want.

Oh........... I also have the rotory leather punch too.............. leather craft was a hobby during high school.......... I really didn't like it for punching paper, but in a pinch and before this inexpensive punch became available it worked for me.

Just the ramblings of a small mind................mine.

13. B-Manic

Are the bits interchangeable?

14. B-Manic

I scratch built this organizer for all my circle related tools.
  15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Between the two different models?

The bits on the one you have are smaller in overall diameter and therefore the other handle can not secure them in the holder.

And the larger diameter bits will not fit in the one you have.

Nice holder! I need to organize my stuff better:oops:

16. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Just noticed the new Avatar, have you made Chief?

If so you owe us all a beer.
  17. B-Manic

Yes, I have. Effective 11 June 2007, although I will not get my warrant for several months as I am presently on sick leave.
  18. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Congratulations then.
  19. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Congrats and get well soon!

Your neighbour,
  20. B-Manic

I have been using the tool pretty steady for several weeks now. It continues to operate flawlessly. I have had no problems with it at all. Now I am looking for additional bits for it.