scratchbuilt Spanish cruiser Infanta Maria Teresa

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Just a little post to let ya'll know that I haven't chucked the model. I've been playing with making stairs for the gun deck and i still haven't built all the 5.5 2ndary guns and shields yet. maybe this weekend. I added a pic of the fore deck with main gun and an overall pic of the ship for all's enjoyment.

Vernon

Attachments

• latest as of 12 2.JPG
    latest as of 12 2.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 124
  • latest as of 12 2.JPG
    latest as of 12 2.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 123
  • main guns and fore deck.JPG
    main guns and fore deck.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 111
  • main guns and fore deck.JPG
    main guns and fore deck.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 112

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
I've been working on making deck edge railing and bridge and deckhouse rails for the infanta and i'm having some problems. This is what i was doing. I cut each stanchion and using a surgical needle made a pilot hole and inserted the stanchion with a drop of CA and let it cure overnight, then using .012 bead stringing wire i tryed to attach the rails to the stanchions again using a drop of CA. It looks like if I do this it will have to be rail by rail if it will work.
Right now the biggest problem is that some rails have come loose or are slightly off line. Does anyone have a good idea on how to help with this.

Vernon

Attachments

• fore deck w stanchions.JPG
    fore deck w stanchions.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 97
  • fore deck w stanchions.JPG
    fore deck w stanchions.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 97
  • aft dech house.JPG
    aft dech house.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 84
  • aft dech house.JPG
    aft dech house.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 84
  • stern rail test.JPG
    stern rail test.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 88
  • stern rail test.JPG
    stern rail test.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 87

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
deck rails the bane to all ship modelers!

What CA glue are you using.............. thin, medium or thick?

Try thick if you haven't. Also get some accelerator, it will help set the glue way, WAY quicker and allow you to make sure things stay straight while the glue sets. So far the accelerator I've has not ever effected the ink or the paper.

Hope this helps.

john

swiftsword

Apr 7, 2005
Massachusetts
www.waldenfont.com
I would use Nylon thread ( or regular black thread) instead of wire. I suspect the wire is to stiff to bend properly. Also, the thread you'll be able to wrap around stanchions once or twice, and then fix it with CA glue.

Cheers,

Oliver

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
I did get a fine thread that is .008 which may do better. the wire is very flexible ,if I position the boat and put tension on the wire it holds ok
I just read a post by Jim Krauzlis and i might try this on a duplicate bridge.

Thanks for yall's help
Vern

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
I made a jig to make rails with and on my first try out of about 18 possible inchs of rail I salvaged 1 or 2. Not so good but I tried a different thread and got about a foot of good railing. I worked on the aft deck enclosure and conn platform and have posted a picture of it. I also worked on the pinstriping at the waterline and deck line. It's still a work in progress.

Vernon

Attachments

• new railings.JPG
    new railings.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 176

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
scratchbuilding Infanta Marie Teresa

Nobody does scratchbuilding rails easily or (usually) well. It is harder than it looks. Thats why there is a ready market for laser cut ones. But yours look good.

I am looking forward to your updates on this very interesting project.

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Hi Guys
I posted pics of the jig and the rails that came off of it and a few pics of the bridge w the new rails. I hope to make a set for the fore and aft decks tonite along with the jack and flag staffs.

Vernon

Attachments

• railing jig.JPG
    railing jig.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 57
  • railings 12 20.JPG
    railings 12 20.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 53
  • bridge w new rails.JPG
    bridge w new rails.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 55
  • bridge w rails.JPG
    bridge w rails.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 67

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
The credit goes to Jim krazlis . I used his instructions about the jig. It was easy to make out of hobby aircraft poplar and with the pieces on the corners is very strong. I'm able to make 2 strands about 10 inches long.

Vernon

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
hi guys

I've done a little work today and have added the masts and fighting tops for test fit. also I put in the stair ways below deck. I've been building boats slowly and I'm test fitting the rails to hold the ships boats. I'll post pics when I get these things done hopefully late tomorrow. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Vernon

Attachments

• with masts.JPG
    with masts.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 99
  • as of thurs.JPG
    as of thurs.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 101

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
This is really coming into focus now. Great looking ship!

This is another example of how you can build with card and it look like another medium. Outstanding work.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
I wholehearted agree with eibwarrior...she continues to evolve into an outstanding model!

I love the look of these older steamships, particularly the early warships; there's just something about them that I find attractive and very interesting.

Great job and I'm really looking forward to more as you continue with this thread.

Cheers!

And Happy New Year!!
Jim

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Hi All
I haven't been able to get much work done due to work and family but I was able to build the boat rails over the decks. they can be removed for work that I'll do underneath but are complete except for painting. I also made the winch for the anchors and put rails in place on the foredeck. I've started making ships boats. In the first pic you can see two of them and am drawing the largest gig. I'll post more after I install the 5.5 secondary battery,anchors and redraw the bow scroll.

Vernon

Attachments

• WITH BOAT RAILS.JPG
    WITH BOAT RAILS.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 72
  • WITH BOW RAILINGS.JPG
    WITH BOW RAILINGS.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 72

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Ok, I've been able to pick up work on the Infanta and wanted to post a few pics of her. I hope you all like it.

Vernon

Attachments

• DSCN0982.jpg
    DSCN0982.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0981.jpg
    DSCN0981.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN0980.jpg
    DSCN0980.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 40