scratchbuilt Spanish cruiser Infanta Maria Teresa

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
This is my first build post here @ cardmodels.net and I'm excited to be doing this. i posted here a while ago regarding info on this ship and slowly began to gather information. The Infanta Maria Teresa was the flagship of R. Adm. Cervera at the battle of Santiago during the Spanish-American war and was the lead ship of 3 in it's class of protected cruiser. These ships were an offshoot of the British Orlando cruisers and I think are pretty distinctive looking. I want to credit Jose Pillet for all the information that he has provided in my endeavor. I'll add more next week as I build more , so for now here are a few pics.

Vern

Attachments

• SSCN0477.JPG
    SSCN0477.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 568
  • SSCN0478.JPG
    SSCN0478.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 282
  • SSCN0479.JPG
    SSCN0479.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 269
  • SSCN0476.JPG
    SSCN0476.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 438

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Yes I used line drawings of the ship as well as deck plans and hull lines as drawn by Julio Pillet, which I believe he had gotten from Spanish Naval Archives and after settling on 1/200 scale began preparing a waterline base main deck and centerline profile of the ship. hull lines were reproduced on the computer and cut and laminated as were the other main forms. The planking was hand drawn in and the deck was colored with a Prismacolor Goldenrod pen that I think looks really good. I used textured 110 lb watercolor paper so the deck has some character. I have realized that I made a mistake on the
bow and stern cannon ports. I'll have to figure out how to fix that. Early this week i will be installing the deck houses and completing the main deck gun shielding. Before this project I have only done models produced by Maly and JSC. so actually have to figure out how to make everything has been a lot of fun. I'll post more as I get a chance.

Vernon

lrjanzen

Jul 17, 2006
Rhode Island USA
Excellent! I will follow eagerly. Love Pre-Deadnoughts! I am building the Oregon now. Are you planning on selling a copy? on another note does anyone kow of threads that deal with scratch building ships? A walk through of how to do it? I might want to give this a try.

SCEtoAux

Jul 28, 2004
USA
Good looking model so far.

Reading line drawings of ship's hulls is fun, isn't it? I have a book with lots of line drawings from ships spanning the years 1700-1855 called The Search For Speed Under Sail by Howard I. Chapelle. Interesting stuff.:) :)

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Ok.. I finally had a little time to work on the Infanta and was able to build the fore and aft superstructure...kind of a misnomer as they only enclose the boat deck and I build up the insides of the gun shields and formed the pads for the anchors. Today I hope to get the deck houses ,conning tower, stacks,barbettes and the top of the gun shields done. work..work...work!
I love doing this ship, I think that I have thought of nothing else for a while.
Lonnie asked if I was thinking of selling it or plans and I can honestly say that I haven't considered it. Enough for now.

Vern

Attachments

• SSCN0489.JPG
    SSCN0489.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 182
  • SSCN0485.JPG
    SSCN0485.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 128
  • SSCN0486.JPG
    SSCN0486.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 134
  • SSCN0487.JPG
    SSCN0487.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 222

swiftsword

Apr 7, 2005
Massachusetts
www.waldenfont.com
lrjanzen said:
Excellent! I will follow eagerly. Love Pre-Deadnoughts! I am building the Oregon now. Are you planning on selling a copy? on another note does anyone kow of threads that deal with scratch building ships? A walk through of how to do it? I might want to give this a try.

How about my thread on the "Livadia" at Kartonbau?

http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=5423

Cheers,

Oliver

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Hi All
I was able to get a little more done and I'vee added 2 pics. I built the barbettes for the main guns,placed the top of the gun shield on and I've been making ventilators and stacks. I'll be working on it this weekend and posting more pics as I go.

Vern

Attachments

• SSCN0493.JPG
    SSCN0493.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 114
  • SSCN0492.JPG
    SSCN0492.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 122

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
hi All

more pics to post of work done this weekend.

Vernon

Attachments

• bridge w sunawning template.JPG
    bridge w sunawning template.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 105
  • deckhouses and vents.JPG
    deckhouses and vents.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 93
  • latest work nov 10.JPG
    latest work nov 10.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 113

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
I've been watching this with great interest. She's coming along very well. You're making it very tempting to get into building ships from this period as well, excellant work.

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
just a short post w/ some more pics. I've got to start work on the 5.5 guns and shields and the main guns and turrets.

Thanks Vernon

Attachments

• bridge w light stands.JPG
    bridge w light stands.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 113
  • vents on deck houses.JPG
    vents on deck houses.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 98
  • over the stern.JPG
    over the stern.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 100

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Hi All

I was lucky to be able to get some work done this weekend and it has been satisfying. Late last night I made prototypes for the main turrets out of supersculpy. I think that I will form 67lb. paper over these to make the turret.
If anyone has a good idea I welcome the input. funnels and 5.5 guns and shields are the critter de jour for this week and then its boat building time.
i've loaded a pic of the boat deck frame pattern overlaid on the ship and the protos of the turrets.

I say a good Veterans Day to all our Vets,young and old.

Vern

Attachments

• plan for boat deck frames.JPG
    plan for boat deck frames.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 103
  • main gun turret prototypes.JPG
    main gun turret prototypes.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 115

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
Infanta Maria Teresa

Very ambitious build! Your plans seem to be very detailed. Compound curves such as the gun hoods & the ventillators are difficult to work with. Don't see how you are going to plate the scupty. Good luck!

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Ok My sidetrip into attention deficit helped me a little. I'm still unable to get the boat supports the way I want them to be but I was able to built the stacks. I 've got to add the steam lines and paint them and the stacks.
i've got to get some supplies and tomorrow hopefully will be a great day.

Vern

a

Attachments

• painted turrets and installed stacks.JPG
    painted turrets and installed stacks.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 105
  • smokestacks.JPG
    smokestacks.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 87

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Hi all
I wanted to post a pic of the ship to show how it looks and i was frankly horrified at the little white paint skips. I have been making the 5.5 cm guns
but only have 3 made. And I thought building the hull was going to tough.

I have a question for the Experten here. What is the best way to make stairs? I have 3 straight stairs, the curved stairs from the bridge and the gangways to build and I can use some help.

Vernon

Attachments

• stern scroll.JPG
    stern scroll.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 87
  • SSCN0567.JPG
    SSCN0567.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 105