Scratchbuilt Hanriot Type VII, 1/48th

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by EricGoedkoop, Nov 4, 2006.

1. 4x4paper

4x4paper Member

Where do we get a ticket for the first fly??
  2. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Your work never ceases to amaze me. 8v)

I have had no luck getting any information on the 1912 Hanriot Bennett Cup racer. My contacts in the Chicago area are unable to locate anything either. Even the newspapers of the era were of no help. But I have located a few things that might clear up some design questions.

Your wings look great. I spent a couple of days a while ago working on getting the perfect wing look. Does your wings have seperate tip areas?

I'll be looking forward to more photos!
  3. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

I managed to get the wings attached, and fixed the outboard wing bracing lines to hold them at the proper dihedral:

Now I just need to sort out the rest of that rigging mess:

4. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

The wing-warping isn't functional (I can barely get 'em finished without any moving parts) so I don't know that I can help you - I just glue the hell out of everything and cross my fingers that it holds.
  5. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Hey, Ash!

I plan on taking another stab at the 1912 soon, sometime within the next few months or so. I've come across a couple new photos since the last time we talked about it. Shall I send them to you?

Thanks! I abandoned my earlier technique of making wings from a "sandwich" of bottom skin, ribs and top skin built on a rounded form. They were just too chunky and had no airfoil. These are much better and have nice, sharp trailing edges. The early Hanriot wing was flat across its top surface all the way to the tip, so the last three ribs bays of the underside are a separate piece that angles up to meet the top skin. Here's the part:

On white cardstock, the printed side becomes the inside of the wing. I embossed the LE and all the ribs and then formed and glued it. The finished wings has a nice translucency to it, as you can see in the last photo I posted.
  6. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Also, in case you guys were wondering about that piece of music wire sticking out of the engine . . . . . .

There are very, very few places one can actually grab hold of this model. I've been using that piece of wire to pick it up and move it around with, to avoid any accidental smashing or squeezing.

Forgot to take it out for the last set of pictures.

7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Amazing! I am really glad to watch this go together - thanks man
  8. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Please do! I managed a new photo of the Nieuports from that race, but nothing on the Hanriot.

Please send to

9. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

All tidied up:

10. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Wow! A gorgious model of a beautiful aircraft.

11. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Another beautiful build, Eric.

I'm still trying to soak in the new information you sent me. But it does look like I might have a little redrawing of the drawing to work on. 8v)
  12. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

That's right - no frame, just skin. Fiddler's Green-style, more or less.
  13. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Yep - me too.

I'm thinking about what to do after this one and right now it's either the 1912 Hanriot-Pagny or the AVRO 504 protoype.

Whatever the next one is, I think I might try it at 1/32 instead of my usual 1/48.
  14. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

New Aeroplane Projects

How ´bout a 1910 Léon Levavasseur 'Antoinette' VII, the one with the long landing skid?
    That would be a thing of beauty and a model which I´d really like to see coming out of your hands.

For research of that aeroplane, if you should be interested one day, there is one in the Science Museum in London (probably Latham´s machine with one wing dismantled), one at Le Bourgét airport in Paris (complete) and one (fuselage only) in Krakow, Poland.

Good luck with the beautiful Hanriot and all coming projects!
    Bengt :smile:
  15. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

I'm leaning toward the AVRO. The Antoinettes are lovely but after this one I'm in the mood for something a little less spindly and more robust.
  16. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Finished it!

17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

I see what you mean - the Antoinette is very similar. An AVRO would be very nice - I´m looking forward to it. The AVRO 1910 triplane is also one of my favourites - the one they´ve got in the Shuttleworth Collection, which they fly with every summer at the spectacular air shows.

Re. finished Hanriot:
    What can one say? This is a wonderful build - I´m amazed (as always) at the precision and the subtle rigging at this 1:48th scale. No slack anywhere and the wings has a perfect dihedral. Yet another masterpiece!

And, how in the blazes do you do those spoked wheels? :-o The spokes are so thin that they look exactly like the real thing. Nice also with GREY natural rubber tires - very true to the period.

Best regards,
    Bengt :smile:
  18. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Inspirational workmanship!!!!! A real treat to follow this build from start to finish...

19. Gil

Gil Active Member

Exceptionally conceived and executed model. Better put this one under glass to preserve it...,

Best regards, -Gil