Scratchbuilt Hanriot Type VII, 1/48th

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by EricGoedkoop, Nov 4, 2006.

1. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

I've been having a real rotten time trying to finish a model for the last year or so, but just to show you guys that I haven't given up entirely (yet) I thought I'd put up a few pictures of the current project. This is - hopefully - the first of a planned three or four early Hanriot models.

Rigging is 100wt filament silk thread (lovely stuff - a bit thick maybe for this scale but so much easier to work with than monofilament that I don't care) and I cheated shamelessly on the cabane structure, making it from 1/32" music wire magic-markered black. Everything else is cardstock and paper. The undercarriage legs and skids are triple-thick cardstock with 1/64" wire buried in the middle. I skipped the wire for the tailskid but shouldn't have; it's bowing under the weight of the still-unfinished model and will probably have to be replaced with a sturdier one.

More to follow soon, if all goes well. I've got about six weeks into the little beast as it is. Might be done by Christmas . . . . .

As always, comments and questions are welcome.
  2. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

WOW! Are you using some kind of blueprint when you make it? This is the first truely scratchbuilt I think I have seen going together :)
  4. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Funny you should ask that . . . .

I have a fairly decent 1911 magazine 2-view that served as a starting point. I'm working on my own 3-view drawing as I build this model, based on the old drawing and photographs/postcards. This is all part of a larger effort to research and document the entire series of Hanriot "Libellule" types. I'd like to produce fairly accurate drawings for each of them - I've identified 11 variants so far - and have picked a few to model. I've collected over 70 images online, and have started purchasing a few of the more helpful photos when they pop up on the auction sites. Dimensions are going to be conjectural in many places, but my main goal is to identify and document the differences (overall size, number of passengers, control system, landing gear) between the types. I imagine it will take a LONG time to sort it all out but I've made a good start and it's been an enjoyable project so far.

All that said, I should mention that I think this particular bird was the Hanriot Type VII. Based on what I know for sure, it should be but I'm not ready to swear to it. Regardless, there definitely WAS an aeroplane that looked like this.

Thanks for the compliments!
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Wow... well done.

You say the wire work is not to scale but I think it works well.
  6. Willja67

Willja67 Member

This kind of makes me want to crawl into a corner curl up and cry. I am seriously in awe of your skill Eric.
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

How sweet it is! Nice application of the art. Your interpretations are always a marvel to behold...,

One thing, though, speed it up a little and post more often...,

Best regards, -Gil
  8. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Holy cow that thing is amazing, you should make a kit version :-D
  9. Your work is extraordinary, Eric. I don't know what else to say as no words are adequate to describe your models.

Cheers --- Larry
  10. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Yes, well . . . . .

There's probably 10 - 15 hours of work left in this one. I should be able to stretch that out to six more weeks, easy.

Honestly, I've had so many go kablooey on the bench lately that I've gotten a little gunshy about posting until the thing has a fighting chance of getting finished. Remember that Pup? Spent two months on it, had both wings on and was rigging when I dropped it. Took the whole thing apart, cleaned it up, put it back together and was re-rigging when I dropped it AGAIN.

Sometimes they're just not meant to be.
  11. Alcides

Alcides Member

Eric I think your work is art. Really I love to see how this thing are going. Even if you don't have time to finish it. :wink:
  12. josve

josve Active Member

I'm a big fan of your work Eric!!
    And I'm really enjoying your posts :)
  13. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Your work inspires me. Please keep designing, building and posting.

14. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

It´s exciting and inspiring to see a thread by your hand again. I am always amazed at the precision and elegance of your scratch-built projects.

This absolutely beautiful Hanriot model, especially the triangular fuselage and 'bird-like' tail, reminds me very much of my vintage aeroplane favourite, the elegant Gastambide-Levavasseur 'Antoinette' VII monoplane. This aeroplane was in my opinion one of the most delicate man-made 'birds' ever to take to the skies - here´s Hubert Latham´s machine in 1910:

I´m looking forward to seeing more of this interesting build - best of luck.

All the best,
    Bengt :roll:

PS: Sorry to hear about that Pup - the metallized cowling was absolutely stunning. This kind of accident has happened to me, too - on several occasions.
    Perhaps we should have some kind of net under our work benches, like the ones that line dancers have . . ?
  15. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Thanks, Bengt!

Bit of trivia for you:

Rene Hanriot was a well-known and successful race car driver when he got the aviation bug in 1908. He ordered an Antoinette, but it was never delivered. After nearly a year (!), he decided to build his own, and in early 1910, Hanriot secured the services of former Levavasseur foreman Emile Ruchonnet. It's no accident that the early Hanriots follow the general lines of the Antoinette. The first two even had the same two-wheel control system, while the third had a "hybrid" system featuring an Antoinette-style wheel to control the elevator and a Hanriot-style stick for the wing-warping. - here´s Hubert Latham´s machine in 1910:

That might not be a bad idea . . . . .
  16. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Little further along now -

After a few days of trial and error:

I worked out a set of wings I was happy with:

I also did a little more work on the undercarriage, adding these triangular doo-dads that carry the axle. The real ones are a bit more complicated and have a lot more parts to them, but I decided it had gotten fiddly enough:

Here it is at the moment:

Next, I need to finish up the wing-warping pulley system on the rear undercarriage legs so that the rigging can be attached. The wings are only held to the fuselage at the front and rear spars (you can just barely see them sticking out of the wing roots) so the rigging is going to be necessary to hold it all together.

More pictures soon.
  17. Texman

Texman Guest

That is just incredible. My meager attempts at wadding up paper and calling it a model are humbled by your abilities.

18. DrBill

DrBill Member

This is beautiful! I hope you're able to find a way to distribute the model either commercially or gratis. We are really lacking in quality, detailed pre-WW1 designs.
  19. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

20. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Ooooohh neat

What are you using for pullies and rigging hardware? I'm on the lookout for things that will work to reduce friction on the rigging and also things that will work as cleats. My warpwing ekranoplan needs these parts for adjusting the wings, and I love to see how others have solved similar problems.