scratchbuilt brass 1875 4-4-0

rowsdower

I'm currently scratchbuilding the Virginia Truckee #11 Reno in HO scale and I've hit a snag. Every 4-4-0 I've seen in HO seems to be tender driven, which really bugs me because it messes up the look of the cab. I want to make it locomotive driven, but with a 15mm inner diameter to the boiler I'm having trouble finding a motor that fits. Ideally it will be somewhat smaller than that 15mm in diameter and less than 20mm in length. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm also not sure what kind of specs I should be looking for in terms of rpm and torque. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

bob neill

Some of the slot car motors might be small enough, but there is a guestion about power. I assume this is no help.

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Sounds like a awesome project! One guy out there specializes in motors for almost any model railroad application, you can find him at http://www.micro-loco-motion.com/ I've purchased a gearhead motor from him for potential use in one of my steamers or one of my old Hustlers.

Be sure to post pics of your project, myself and two others I know will be also interested. When time allows I have my own scratch building project, a fictional 4-4-4-0 I named the Super American.

Tyler