Scratchbuilt Borden's butterdish milk car.

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Blake, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Blake

Blake Member

I started to build a Borden's butterdish milk car in N scale but ran into a couple of dimension problems. Realizing that It would be easier to start over again I took what I had and made it into a freelance car for my own road the Piermont Dock Railway. I put on a round top door with a porthole in it and added the wings from .005" styrene. It's not quite done as only one side is decaled and not yet oversprayed. Check it out.

Attached Files:

2. Blake

Blake Member

And another.

Attached Files:

3. Blake

Blake Member

And one more. I will add more photos when the car is finished.

Attached Files:

4. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Nice model, I like the paint scheme! Where can I get drawings of the car, they showed up frequently on the D&H.
  5. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Interesting car Blake. I am sure it will be put to good use on your layout.
  6. Catt

Catt Guest

There was an article on building a butterdish milk car in RMC I think late last year.
  7. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

What a beautiful piece of modeling, Blake!
    That is just stunning!
    :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
  8. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Works for me, nice job!
  9. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Looks great, and a hard to find car type too. I promise we won't turn you over to the Prototype Police:p
  10. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

Quick work...

..., having just seen this car on Blake's paint booth pedestal a few hours ago. Truely a beauty.

I would offer Blake one piece of advice, clean uP that workbench!:D

11. Blake

Blake Member

12. Blake

Blake Member

Thank you for all of your kind comments. The proprietors at the Nyack Dairy are very happy with the responses and so is the work force at the PDR shops.
  13. absnut

absnut Member

That is one fantastic looking milk car! Great job.

14. Chris333

Chris333 Member

Lookin good blake :cool: I would like to do a borden car someday. Do you know a good place to get plans for these cars? I remember something in RMC with drawings, but I can't find it now.
    BTW: what size is your N scale layout?

15. Blake

Blake Member

That was a 2 part article in RMC. March & April 1986. I have a tiny layout that is kind of on hold as I am rebuilding part of it. It is 2' X 8' with 2 levels. The top level has a scenery divider down the center with a hidden staging yard in the back. The grades are terrible as it is like a folded loop. When I rebuild it I will only have 1 grade and a reverse loop on the bottom level with another staging yard. All the yards just keep me from getting bored. Also, I am changing over to Atlas code 55 on the exposed portion.

Attached Files:

• 111.jpg
      File size:
      31.9 KB
  16. Blake

Blake Member

This is the upper level staging yard.

Attached Files:

• 222.jpg
      File size:
      18.7 KB