Scratchbuilding N gauge people

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Buying enough people to populate my layout is prohibitive with the low value our Canadian Dollar has.
Back in September of 1949 John Allen showed a method he had been using. More recently, there was an article on the subject by Marty Vaughn in the November 1991 MR.
I take a normal pin, two 2.5 inch lengths of wire leaving a 3/4 section, I wind it around the pin, About 3/16. Then the second piece of wire is wound. The two top ends become the arms and the two bottom ends become the legs. A drop of solder holds it together. This is what the "armatures" look like

Attachments

• mn2.jpg
    mn2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 393

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Next I cut off the bottom section of the pin.
I build up the thickness of the wire using a latex wood filler that I have thinned a little bit. This is how far I have got. Next some trimming then painting. Will post a finished picture later.
Like anything I try, The more I do the better they will get but at least this is a begining.
Has anyone else tried making people? I would be interested in any other methods.

Attachments

• mn1.jpg
    mn1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 386

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Hi Robin, I havn't made a serious attempt at this yet but did tinker with the idea and it gave me a headache:D BOY! do I admire your modeling skills. That fella is shaping up nicely.

I was going to order a set of seventy two unpainted turn of the century Preiser figures but evidently they have discontinued them. They are not in the Walthers catalog anymore anyway.

t.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
That's pretty awesome. You can do stuff like that while you watch TV with the family, so the labor's "free".

t. didja check the walthers site? It might just not be listed. My LHS guy said walthers is actually charging to be listed in the printed cat now :eek: If you find a bulk pack of unpainted or otherwise cheap figures, be sure and let us know. $10 for five??? screw that. I'll mode them outa clay first. Cast my own. Mumify and shrink my neighbors (hmmmm, remember Psycho??? I could get Bob's SS check :D :D :D sick)

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Hey Jon, thanks for the GUFFAW he he he. Try some with that plasti dip. The only colour I could find here is red. I guess it can be painted EH!
I made up 25 armatures in about an hour of TV watching.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Robin:
In the 50's there was a fellow on CBC TV (Ross Snetsinger) who made figures using pipe cleaners for armatures and dipping them in wax. (Never got my mother to let me play with hot wax.) These were intended, I think, for O gauge models.

Are you coming to the Train Show this weekend in Malton? Say hi at the Platelayers table.

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Hi jon, no I hadn't checked online. but I'm going to have the train shop see if they can somehow get them for me. Thier around 25 or thirty bucks for the pack.

Shrinking real folk, humm, :D :D

When I was thinking of making some figure's I was going to try Milluputt.

t.