Scratchbuilding materials

n-scaler-dude

Nov 22, 2002
Lebanon, MO
Visit site
I've got a multi-part quesrtion for those who have been around the scratchbuilding block:

When you are working on a project and you run out of a certain size wood you need, or other materials, and you can't acquire what's needed for a while, do you:

1. Continue working and improvise with what you have because of a need to finsih the project?

or..

2. Set it aside and wait until you can get what you need, and start another ptoject?

Just looking for opinions I guess. Lately, it seems, everything I start I have to abandon because I am missing something needed to continue.

On a similar subject, where is a good source for scale basswood, that might be (hopefully) cheaper than buying it at the local hobby shop?

The stuff I've been using is from Northeastern Scale Lumber Inc. The problem is that it costs around $2 for about 10 1-foot strips, which can get quite costly if you want to build something entirely out of wood....lika a trestle or covered bridge.

Ideas??

n-scaler-dude

Nov 22, 2002
Lebanon, MO
Visit site
drew - I checked out that website and it looks like a good price for what it is. Unfortunately, what I need is thinner than the 1/32" sheets. The scale lumber I have been getting is about 2mm wide by...well, it's thinner than a piece of poster board yet not quite as thin as a piece of paper ("N" scale 2" x 12"). If I could find some sheets similar to that thickness I'd have no problem slicing them with a razor blade.

jon - I saw that post in the "tips" thread, but don't have a clue where to get a precision table saw. Is it like one of those Dremel table saws??

Have you, or anyone else for that matter, tried using a scroll saw? I have one which I use in my partime business that uses blades that are .008" thick (a very fine cut!). I guess the problem would be keeping the blade cutting straight for extended cuts. Smaller cuts I'd probably have no problem.

Also, a good quality scroll saw might be handy for making other details as well. Things like fancy brackets for stations or depots, or other cuts that are not straight, could be done with this.

In fact I think I'll give it a try, just for the hay of it.:) :) :) :)

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I was unable to locate a dremel table saw, but if they still make it or you can find a used one, it would probably fit the ticket. I did find this on how to make one or how to use your scroll saw as atable saw: http://www.miniature.net/smallstuff/dremel.htm

I've thought about using a makita 3" circular saw, inverted and attached to a table.

Micromark has one for $119 , but you have to pay a lot more for one with a tilt blade :(

n-scaler-dude

Nov 22, 2002
Lebanon, MO
Visit site
Wow!, great and innovative minds must think alike:D :D :D

I was thinking all night, while at work, on how I could rip thin strips of wood using my scroll saw. I got home, taped a long metal ruler 1 N-scale foot from the blade, found a sheet of 1/32" thick basswood and turned the machine on.

The material is so thin that there is absolutley no "wandering" of the scroll saw blade, so an almost perfect strip of wood is cut. One other great thing about this method is that if you use the absolute finest blades available, there is virtually no "tear-out" or feathering on the backside. There is also very little waste or sawdust since the blade is so thin.

I found all this out before I got online and read this board and it looks like hobbyists are always on the lookout for new ways of doing things.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a goin' to rip me a bunch of lumber and stock the shelves!:D :D :D :D

Also, if anyone is interested in trying this themselves, I'd recommend staying away from those old Dremel scroll saws. You know, the ones with 1 speed (like lightning!!) that seem to vibrate all over your table like those old football games?!

n-scaler-dude

Nov 22, 2002
Lebanon, MO
Visit site
Frozen???, What's this frozen word you speak??

Just do like I do, remove all unnecessary household furniture (chairs, sofa, tables, etc...) and replace it with funstuff (woodworking tools, hobby things, stereo equipment, etc...):rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
Originally posted by jon-monon
I've been doin the same thing with my table saw for years; it's so junky it works better to just clamp a 2X2 on the table. I wouldn't even think of using it for modeling, 'cept to cross cut a caboose free hand once in a while :D :D :D

LOL, RMOFL,

And let me guess, you can cut cabooses in half, 'after' the meds, or 'before':confused: :confused:

Drew

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Originally posted by n-scaler-dude
Frozen???, What's this frozen word you speak??

Just do like I do, remove all unnecessary household furniture (chairs, sofa, tables, etc...) and replace it with funstuff (woodworking tools, hobby things, stereo equipment, etc...):rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OK, sure, and the misses can just stay out in the back shed:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Works for me;) ;)

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Now I get it!!!

Yup, OK, Jon, you actually used a table saw to cut a caboose in half. You have/had pretty steady hands?

Sounds like me, trying to free hand very small pieces on my router table! When the bit grabbed the end grain, the wood was gone!!

Drew

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
And I still gots all 11 fingers!

uf.jpg

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Boy jon, that hair transplant did wonders. :p

Speaking of fun with saw's, The shop foreman today was ripping a boad on the table saw. The saw kicked the board back and beaned him right in the willy. then it jumped back on the saw and got him again in the same spot. This happed in a split second. Me and the other three workers dropped to the floor laughing. He also dropped to the floor but he wasn't laughing.:p :D

t.