scratchbuilding help

Hi I am a new member and I have bent ring to scratch build everything I can. I am having a little trouble getting started. I don’t know where to get dimensions of buildings I do have one book that is good it is from model railroader from the early 60’s but I am looking for others. I am also looking for the sizes of styrene to use, nothing is labeled n scale. Not sure what I should be using. So I need a beginners guide to modeling n scale. Does anyone know a book or website?

C

Catt

If you look on the backside of a package of Evergreen siding material you will find a size chart that lists the size of the Evergreen siding and lists what that equals in scales from N which is 1:160 all the way up to 1:25.The chart also lists the nearest fraction too.

Most industrial personal doors are usually 36" wide by either 80" (modern) or 84" (older era) tall.A good plan if your scratchbuilding is to take your own pics and use a yard stick set vertically againest the building or take a friend along to stand by the building while you take the pics.It also helps if you know how tall he or she is.:D

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Hi, Mister Duck, welcome to the Gauge.:wave: I'm afraid that I can't recommend any books for scratchbuilding, as, if I want to build something, I just go ahead and build it. I have a lot of years of trial and error behind that ability.:D Railroad Model Craftsman magazine has been running an ongoing column, for some months now, on various aspects of scratchbuilding, which might give you some insights or ideas.
My suggestion to you, whether or not you find the books for which you are searching, is to purchase an N scale ruler. Most sheet products, particularily styrene, are measured in thousandths of an inch thickness, whereas most dimensional stock (strips and shapes) are measured in fractions of an inch, such as 3/64"x1/32". Some materials may also be measured in millimetres. A good scale ruler will have scales for most of the major scales: N, HO, S, and O. It should also have an "inch" scale and also one in millimetres. This will give you some means of comparison when looking for suitably sized materials for a project.

Wayne

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
:wave: welcome to the gauge :wave:check out older copies of the model mags they have scratchbuilding articals in them.also look through the threads here in the scratching and bashing forum there are some well done how to in it .

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
Hello Duck,

It doesn't cost much to start scratch building. The core of my first structure was a couple of athrean cardboard boxes. Wrap them in paper tape, (from a first-aid kit) and spray paint auto primer grey, and you've got a concrete structure. Glue some fine corrugated cardboard on halfway up.... siding. A flat roof can be a piece of sandpaper. straws make great chimneys and smokestacks. Bash some doors/windows from other kits and voila.... you're off and running. :thumb: As you practice, you will develop your own tricks and techniques, and you will learn from the the collection of knowledge here, of course.

My two cents? Get started and have fun!