scratchbashed????

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
This is one of the structures, removed from the old modular layout for use later, on the new module set. The original "how to article" was done by Jack Work, and had the sand tower on top of a flat roofed storage bin and drying shed. I sort of "scratchbashed" this by using a gabled roof on the bin/shed, and building the tower to sit on a side hill, sepapate from the shed.
I just finished shingling the bin/shed roof. It originally was built with "shingle paper" to represent asphault shingles.
Pete

Attachments

• sandtwr.jpg
    sandtwr.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 230
Pete, that's some outstanding model building. I especially like the tower.

Since you're familiar with Jack Works' articles, do you remember E.L. Moore? I've got a couple of structures on the CM&S that I built from E.L Moore articles and plans.

Vic

Hi Pete and Casey....You guys are really making me think about how old I am!!!!:D :D :D Jack Work and E. L. Moore...I think I read every thing that they wrote:)

Did you guys know that E. L. Moore was a pen name. He never used his real name and apparently never wanted it known. There was a tribute to him in RMC after he passed away. Also as far as I know he never had a layout. The guy lived in a three room apartment and built models on a card table. He rarely bought any commerical parts other than paint and glue.

He always had a funny story to go along with his models and I guess he was sort of an inspiration to me. Guess that's where all of my "crazy crap" to go along with my models comes from :D :D

Sorry to get off the subject....Pete I like the model and the word
"scratchbashed" too:D :D :D

Gary Pfeil

Pete, Fantastic work, I love both structures. I remember E L Morre also. Loved reading his articles, great sense of humor.

Gary

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Thanks to all for your comments. E.L.Moore, now there's a name I haven't heard in a while. I do remember an article he did on a garbage train. I believe the term "stench special" was used in the discription. It was a number of years before I had access to RMC, so I tended to favor the MR writers, for construction articles, and Jack Work was probably the one who most influenced my model building.
Pete

Pooh Bah
Jack Work

I nearly met Jack Work. We were on the same bus tour at the NMRA Calgary convention in 79. I was a bit shy to push myself at him and I think most of the rest were respectful enough to just let him be.
If any of you saw the British Columbia Museum train that came east in 77(76?), and if you got past the Royal Hudson pulling it, A lot of the dioramas inside were Jack's work.