Scratch built HO River push/pull tug....in build process.

slagpot

Hello all,

Custom Model Railroads or CMR has a very nice resin/brass river tugboat kit offered in HO. Problem being, I don't have $85.00 bucks to shell out for it. So what does one do ? SCRATCH build is the answer,I'm very pleased so far will the build thus far.

Tonight... I've completed the water line half and the first tier,with open hatch doors and I've built the pushing structure in front. My tug will be a three tier type, with two huge exhaust pipes for the engine {another GM marine product}.

I do have plans to purchase CMR's tug kit as soon as the moneys right.But for now it's scratch build central.

I know that most of the things I talk about are related to vehicles of all types....but hey their HO scale machines for the future layout. Can't wait till Feb 07.....tax time.....12'X16' out door shed also built,exept 1 to 1 scale,or whatever real life structures are. Who-ya!!!!

Below is a link to CMR's tug kit and something like I'm building. Impressive isn't it,man I like the looks of this kit.

http://www.custommodelrailroads.com/towboat.html

Well thats all folks.....

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

Russ Bellinis

For folks with limited space, a tug like that with a rail barge on a cart that has a lake or water front modeled would make a great portable staging yard to bring cars into the waterfront of a switching module and take other loads/emptys away.

slagpot

Hello again,

Still building the river tug. Tonight I built the second tier and added the exhast pipes. The second tier is a little more detailed, with port holes and two door ways.All thats left is the crows nest or bridge {which ever you prefer}.

Then I have some old junk locomotive hand-rails for the tug and detail parts.Last but not least ....painting the bugger. I'm thinking of going with red & white with a fictional construction company logo to boot.

I scratch built a spud barge for a crane I have,so it was only natural to build a tug to go along with it.

More to come.......

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

slagpot

shaygetz said:
announce1 pictures...pictures...pictures...pictures...:wave:

Hi yaz Shaygetz,

Pictures are coming,as soon as I paint the tug and add all the details. It looks rough as @$#&, right now.

Tonight I fininshed the bridge and all thats really left is after paint,adding the port-hole window glass,details,chain,handrails,company logo ect. The three tiers look kind of oversized compared to the tug hull. I should have made the tug hull longer,but hey its my first river tug build and this model also has to have the three foot rule too.

Rest assure the pic's will be posted soon.....

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp [DRSC}