Scratch built garden snow blower unit

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by LoudMusic, Apr 21, 2007.

1. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

2. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

If that was 1to1 scale, imagine how much snow that would be. Can the prototype even plow snow that deep?

3. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Yes, the prototype plows snow that deep! I have pictures of the CPR plowing near Orangeville (50 miles north of Toronto) with a WEDGE plow in snow that deep. They are using SIX steamers to shove the wedge. There are also pictures of men digging out locomotives where the snow was over the roof.

Interestingly, the rotary plow was developed in Orangeville by Orange Jull (no relation ;)) after an idea by a dentist of all people, but it was never used there. The Leslie brothers in Toronto built the first one. Despite the Canadian origin, they became best known for use with the UP and SP in the mountain passes on the way to California. CPR did operate one or more in the Canadian west.

4. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

5. jawharp1992

jawharp1992 Member

cool, awesome, spectacular. Oh, I hate snow.
  6. pooka2hot4u

pooka2hot4u Member

well i guess he just made it for the sake of clearing snow off his track (beats walking around with a shovel) and not really for it to be all that accurate.
  7. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Isn't there a video of a rotary plow in use that ends when the cameraman gets socked with the snow spraying out of the plow?
  8. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Not that I've seen - I'd love to watch it if you can find it :)
  9. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

those are soo coooool,i want a garden railroad just so i can have a rotary plow!and great vids too,loud music! :thumb: --josh
  10. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

great videos. I like the last one when they got stuck. lmao