Scratch built blast furnaces

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi all,

I made this pair of blast furnaces for my HO scale layout based on pictures posted on Spitfire's website:
(http://members.rogers.com/urbanscene/ ) and from some pics of steel mills in model train magazines. The towers are Suave brand shampoo bottles and the furnaces were made from parts I found in the gutter and downspout department of my local hardware store. I spray painted everything a dark grey and then weathered the assembly with artist's chalks. I didn't like the way it first came out so I tried to wipe it off with a dry cloth. This seemed to "burnish" the chalk and created a metalic look I'm very happy with. The safety railings are HO scale ladders turned sideways. This makes them look smaller and farther away than the commercial safety rails I was going to use; increasing the illusion of a larger blast furnace. I might place N scale workers up there.
I've placed the blast furnace in the back of the layout near the backdrop to suggest that most of the steel industry is behind the furnaces and not visible. This way I don't have to model the entire "works" which would overwhelm that section of the layout. I will add a structure or two closer to the front that can receive rail traffic; a rolling mill perhaps....
Ralph

Attachments

• blast furnace2.jpg
    blast furnace2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 375

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Very nice indeed! Immagine what it might cost to make it from a kit and probably take as long to get it lookin good.

J, if you really need some smaller cylinders, look at the PVC pipe, you can get about any size and it's cheap and easy to work with. And you won't have to do like Ralph, "Hon, your hair still smells funny, better go wash it again. Ooops, didn't mean to blast you in the head with the orange spray paint, better go wash that out neeeow! Um, it's still got an orange tint dear..." :D :D :D

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Thanks everyone. When it comes to modeling I like to do it on the cheap. I'm a great admirer of those Walthers steel mill kits but the price is prohibitive and I have to confess to being an impatient and unskilled kit builder. I feel more confident messing around with a $3.00 shampoo bottle than an important part of a $250 kit. Besides, its a kick for me to tell people what some of my structures are made from. I've been saving those shampoo bottles for awhile because they had a good industrial look to them. Fortunately I didn't have to resort to the scenario Jon suggested! My wife's a trooper though and probably would have washed her hair a few times a day for the cause. Then she'd look at me and ask, "Why didn't we just pour the shampoo into another container! " Pretty par for the course of us! :D

By the way, any one have any inspirations for a name for a Northeast region steel mill? I'm having trouble coming up with a good one.
Ralph

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Great job, Ralph!
The forced perspective sounds like a neat idea!
Would love to see some more pics!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Thanks Charlie. Here's another shot of it. I should have taken more pics but I spent the roll on other things on the layout that I'll post later. I have GOT to get a digital camera! I'll shoot some more pics after I build the other mill structures I want to add.

Rich: You got me curious so I looked up Fairless Hills on the internet and discovered it was closed last year! Too bad. I may use the US Steel logo and designate my mill as part of that company with a ficticious location name. I do like the sound of Northeast Steel though.

Ralph

Attachments

• blast furnace 3.jpg
    blast furnace 3.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 208
Nice modeling Ralph. The color looks great :) U don't have to have a prefab kit to have a great looking model. Those plastic shampoo bottles come in handy for making a variety of models, just to name a couple more; grain elevator towers and oil refinery tanks. i also like to use cereal and chip boxes for mock ups :)