Scratch building trucks

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
On page 121 of the September 2007 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman, there's a photo of an under-construction Proto 87 scratchbuilt caboose with trucks somewhat similar to what you are building. Since the modeller is building only a single car, the trucks are built-up from brass strips, bar stock, and styrene.

Wayne

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Interesting. I have a very, very strong interest in Proto:87...although I haven't done any work with it.

I like the idea of using all or nearly all brass construction...but I don't have a drill press...so using resin/plastic is my choice. I originally was going to build the sideframes out of brass...but the first one was too slow...and I didn't feel like drilling all of the holes with my pinvise. Resin was primarily to avoid having to boil 12 pieces of styrene per car...although I can think of some good ways to do that. I currently have enough sideframes for 3 additional cars. There are 4 different types of trucks which were used on South Park cars...the variety here is the smallest. Next came a slightly beefier truck with a solid support in between two 4x8 transoms which were at the bottom of the sideframes...this was only used on certain 27' coal cars (gondolas). The rest of the 27' cars and the 26' Tiffany Reefers used 4x12 transomes with a hole in the center of the space...with the one exception being the 27' Tiffanys which used the same truck as the 30' and 31' cars. All four designs used the same sideframe...which is the reason I only cast the sideframe with the journal boxes.

What type of caboose is that guy building? It sounds quite interesting. I'd love to take a P87 profile tool to some of my steam engines...and then trim down the backs of the tires (or whatever) to make them follow Proto:87 standards....but I don't have a lathe or a P87 layout...so it wouldn't be too smart for me to modify my HO stuff so it won't work with HO layouts.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
The caboose is No. 2 of the Canada Atlantic, as shown at the Canadian Association of Railway Modellers convention in Victoria, B.C. The builder is Rene Gourley, who is modelling the early 1900s period. The caboose is a wooden type, and a fairly substantial size for the trucks, which look very flimsy. :eek:

Wayne

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Here's a new design (well, new 130yrs ago).

It is a standard 3'4" wheelbase Colorado Central truck. It is a prototype...with a few issues I'd fix and a couple additional details.

I made mine entirely out of styrene (it is actually stronger than the resin). I made my own springs out of 0.020" brass wire. (they look better in person than in the photo)

Attachments

• DSCF5896.JPG
    DSCF5896.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 10

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Tonight I added a pair of what I'll call DSP&P/UP Swing beam trucks "C". They were used on the UP built boxcars, 26' Tiffanys, and the 400 series coal cars. The "A" variety were on most of the earlier 26' cars...and the "B" variety were used on the later 30' cars...as well as the 27' Tiffanys and 31' charcoal cars.

I sort of feel like just working on trucks for now...wish I'd had more than the 45min I had tonight to model. Hopefully on Thursday I'll have some time again.

Attachments

• trucks.JPG
    trucks.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 13