Scratch building like Shamus

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by ppowell, Jan 27, 2002.

1. ppowell

ppowell New Member

This question is directed at Shamus but anyone can answer.

Shamus, where do you get the materials for building your bridges and wooden structures. Even more importantly, how do you make the riveted joiners that join pieces of wood together in such a striking manner?

2. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Welcome aboard Paul,
    If you mean the bolts etc seen in the photo here, they are superdetail items normally made of grey or black plastic. Sold by Grant Line and other vendors in packets of between 100 and 170. They describe them by their real size dimensions and are quite inexpensive considering the visual effect they lend to a wood model.
    Try and search for "Grant Line", there may be a full listing of what is available.

Hope this helps you

Attached Files:

3. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Paul, (Great name)
    I use stripwood 1/8" square for the trestle bridges, and 1/8" by 1/32" for the side pieces, all wood can be bougth from
    For the rivets, I use plain old Peco track pins which are 1/2" long and 1/64" thick. I drive them through and cut off the access.

Attached Files:

4. ppowell

ppowell New Member

Thanks for the info! I was browsing the Walthers catalog last night and saw the wood you mentioned. Also saw the super detailing section, so this should get me started. Also saw the numerous pictures of the Badger Creek layout in the catalog, Wow! :eek: