Scratch-Bash steel mill

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Scratch-Bash:
My definition is taking an old scratch built model and rebuilding it by removing some parts and adding others. This steel mill was made for my previous layout and has been modified to fit its location on my current layout.

It is the Curtis Iron and Steel Corporation or CISCO as it is commonly called.
It is named after NARA members Alan Curtis #7 and Mathew Curtis #10.

Coal from Glenholm is supplied to the Anderson Coke plant which turns it into charcoal which then goes to the blast furnaces in the steel mill. Iron ore comes from Ingelow.

Much of the steel produced is exported to Japan where it is used for ship building.

I use those flame Christmas lights to provide the look of red hot steel being processed.
The mill is made out of various plastic containers, doweling and cardboard.
It is 32inches wide, 7inches deep and 11inches high.
N gauge

Attachments

• sm2.jpg
    sm2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 378
Robin, that is a magnificent piece of modelling!!!!
The overiew confirms it all looks correct and to scale ..... it blows my mind to think of the time you spent on that to get such an authentic scene and all put together from domestic things normally thrown away!
Did you have drawings and or photos to give you a feel for it or did you dream it up in your head?? Either way, beautifully done Robin.
After seeing the results of your talent (again) I've decided for sure to go back to bead stringing!!!!!!! :D

Oh woe is me!

Errol

shamus

Registered Member
Robin, what next? thats excellent work my friend, you always come up with some great idea's. does Alan and Matt C know about it yet?

Shamus

Matthyro

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Errol the coke plant was featured in Model Railroader mag a few years back. A great article by Dean Freitag.
The steel mill came from ideas I got from a library book and a few other pictures I found on the web then just made this one to fit.

Vic

Hi Robin, That's really "a piece of work":) Lots of folks just don't realize how massive steel plants are and how they dwarf the surrounding railroad that services them. Great model!!!:) :)

Matthyro

This is the amin/maintenance buiding serving the steel mill

Attachments

• sm1a.jpg
    sm1a.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 316