Scratch and bash driver discovery

capt_turk

Nov 14, 2004
Green Cove Springs, Fla.
I have one of the Bachmann Hershey trolleys. It was running poorly so I figured I would take it apart and see if I could restore it to health.
What I discovered:
The drive unit comes out with two screws removed from the bottom. It is a complete, self contained drive with wheel power pickup wipers built onto the drive. The drive unit will work, DC, by itself. It is 3 3/4" long by 7/8" tall. Relatively flat across the top. The motor wires, and brushes are easily acessable from the top. (Looks kind of strange going around the layout just by itself.) The wipers rub on the top of the wheels. The motor is open frame, with worm gears to each axle.
This looks to be a great drive unit for S&B. Take a truck off a flat car, cut a hole in the deck of the flatcar to fit over the drive, and you have a great platform to bash a loco on, or a speeder, or what ever your imagination can come up with. It looks like the deck of the flat car will be about flush with the top of the drive, and you already have the couplers installed.
Another possible is a small switch engine. Just bash a body and set it on top. It would leave you with plenty of room for weights and a decoder.
AND, it's relatively cheap, and readily available!!!!
Let me know what other ideas you can come up with.:D

Jac's Lines

Jan 28, 2005
Rochester, NY
Bachmann makes a "Brill trolley" in N-scale. I think it retails around $30, but I picked up mine for $15 on ebay. It is a great little runner, from what I've seen. I've attached two pictures -- one with shell and one of the guts. The length of the chassis is 3 1/8".

The problem I've had with bashing (to HOn30) is that the lead weight is almost as big as the chassis, and is what holds the wheel sets, gears and motor in place. Basically, even with the Brill shell removed, you're stuck with a chassis that's more than 3/4" high (from the bottom of the wheels). It looks like it can be shoehorned into a boxcab, but I had planned to try to bash a small Class A Climax. Short of a massive milling project, that ain't gonna happen.

Attachments

• brill trolley 1.jpg
    brill trolley 1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 207
  • brill trolley 2.jpg
    brill trolley 2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 208

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
The power truck in the Bachmann Brill is a popular subject for traction bashing kit--it's relatively easy to rewire, and while the running is not spectacular, it works suitably well. The diameter of the wheels is pretty small, I think around 26". The price, however, is right--you can get Bachmann trolleys used for $10 or less on eBay and at train shows, and pretty much chuck the rest of the trolley if they aren't your thing!