Scratch 1:400 CV-6 USS Enterprise

airbob

Continuing design and beta build of CV-6 Enterprise

This is the finished design and beta build of the hull plating sections up to the main deck- foc'sle deck line...now to take to task the construction of the decks up to the flight decks....then we'll see how an aircraft carrier takes shape!
:winter1: Happy Christmas! and Merry New Years! to all!!!:p

Attachments

• PDR_0376.jpg
    PDR_0376.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 64
  • PDR_0378.jpg
    PDR_0378.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 11
  • PDR_0379.jpg
    PDR_0379.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 53

airbob

Continuing on designing and beta building the above the maindeck superstructure to the flight deck! This view from port bow above...
Happy New Years ,Ya'all!balloon6balloon6balloon6

Attachments

• PDR_0394.jpg
    PDR_0394.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 15
  • PDR_0397.jpg
    PDR_0397.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 14
  • PDR_0398.jpg
    PDR_0398.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 13
  • PDR_0399.jpg
    PDR_0399.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 12

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Looking good Bob. All those bulkheads and formers on the hangar deck can be a lot of work. I can't imagine from a scratch build perspective how difficult it would be.

Happy New Years to you from E. TN!

jaffro

Long term member
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
This is a very inspirational thread, thanks bob.

I'm about to take on a 1:96 scratchbuild myself, with absolutely no CAD, 3D or scratchbuild experience whatsoever... all I have is the confidence that I can pull it off.

Although I have had a very generous offer to help with my hull, I'm wondering exactly how you pulled it off without CAD etc... I think in the time it took me to scan my plans I pretty much figured out a few ways to do it, but couldn't quite get my head around the whole process.

I'm still not entirely sure how to tackle the rest of the ship, but I have a very good set of plans, my only setback is trying to get them to fit on my scanner. :D

I'll be eagerly watching this build while I plod along with my own... it's looking fantastic so far and you've helped boost my confidence a little in preparation for the huge amount of work ahead of me.

airbob

Jaffro,
I began by isolating out each hull section and then measuring the distance from keel to waterline on fore and aft sections....measuring length using the separate hull views and "creating" each section using this technique....the beta build was the final test of fit...and some sections needed to be altered based on thiswall1...same for the waterline to main-deck or foc'sle deck sections....I then used
Photoshop CS to "elongate" each section based on port and starboard views...using these views to fill in a lot of detail....you really end up studying the plan views again and again:eek:....good luck with your task....it has been a real learning experience for me!:p....but was well worth the effort...:wave:

airbob

This is the hull "cleaned-up" before the addition of the flight deck....I should complete this sometime in the next week...this will be exciting!!!
bounce7bounce7bounce7

Attachments

• PDR_0414.jpg
    PDR_0414.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 16
  • PDR_0415.jpg
    PDR_0415.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 14

191pedram

Apr 12, 2007
hello
please guide me how can i take map and instruction files of battle ship
such as missouri or uss arizona aufortunatly in iran i can't buy any of them
if it's possible mail to "najedy_b@yahoo.com"
best regards

airbob

I have continued design and the beta build on the CV-6 USS Enterprise hull up to the flight deck....the detail of the bow and the stern were very complex and a real "brain twister"...now comes all the little railings!!!...maybe will tackle the control tower sometime later in the month if all goes well...the flight deck was just attached with rubber bands for now so I may remove to finish attaching all those little railings!!! Maybe time to celebrate a little!!!
:band1::wave7::rofl::rofl::wave7::band1:

Attachments

• port bow at maindeck.jpg
    port bow at maindeck.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 8
  • port stern at wateline.jpg
    port stern at wateline.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 9
  • stbd stern at waterline.jpg
    stbd stern at waterline.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 9
  • flightdeck-bow.jpg
    flightdeck-bow.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 51

airbob

This is the continuing construction to finish with the flight deck...as you can see there are a lot of little bulkheads added at each station on the Galley Deck....I put 5mm pieces on top of these bulkheads to hold the glue betterfor gluing the FD...the flight deck has a very slightly rounded profile...especially at the bow and stern...maybe not as per the plan detail...but just one of those things that happen:p....however I'm not sure which part that I'll do next the control tower or the 5" multipurpose guns on the Galley deck...

Attachments

• PDR_0447.jpg
    PDR_0447.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 59
  • PDR_0454.jpg
    PDR_0454.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 5
  • PDR_0456.jpg
    PDR_0456.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 51
  • PDR_0458.jpg
    PDR_0458.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 6
  • PDR_0459.jpg
    PDR_0459.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 7

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
airbob: Nice work! It looks very challenging. Scratchbuilding does get your creative juices going, doesn't it? I especially like your paint scheme. It is very attractive. But how did you paint the flight deck & the stern lettering?

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Very nice work Airbob. I like the detail you've put in the bow and stern areas with the handrails and flight deck supports. Very nice.

Keep those updates rolling. I can't wait to see the island take shape.

airbob

Flightdeck detail of CV-6 USS Enterprise

This is pictures of the detail of the under deck area of the (one) bow and (two) stern areas of the flight deck, the last view shows the detail of the under flight deck area with a 2mm "apron" attached to all edges except for the above bow and stern beam reinforced areas.:wave:

Attachments

• PDR_0464.jpg
    PDR_0464.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 8
  • PDR_0461.jpg
    PDR_0461.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 7
  • PDR_0462.jpg
    PDR_0462.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 9

cesandman9265e

Jan 24, 2008
Very nice.....WOW!! :eek:.....The detail is too much! GREAT JOB!! I can't wait to see your work on the tower! I have the 1/350th scale CVN-65 tamiya kit (unbuilt ).

airbob

hese are some shots of the beginning construction of the flight island on the Enterprise....next up will be the funnel complex..

Attachments

• PDR_0470.jpg
    PDR_0470.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 6
  • PDR_0471.jpg
    PDR_0471.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 8
  • PDR_0473.jpg
    PDR_0473.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 63
  • PDR_0474.jpg
    PDR_0474.jpg