Scratch 1:400 CV-6 USS Enterprise

airbob

I have been working on designing the hull for my 1:400 CV-6 USS Enterprise and have begun construction on the hull up to the main deck line...these are based on plans from The Floating Drydock ...the tough part for me will be the external hull plating...since I don't have any computer drafting programs or experience....but that wont stop me!:row1:

Attachments

• Enterprise main hull construction.jpg
    Enterprise main hull construction.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Enterprise main hull construction 1.jpg
    Enterprise main hull construction 1.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Enterprise main hull construction-main deck.jpg
    Enterprise main hull construction-main deck.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 34

OhioMike

Apr 16, 2007
Ohio
I'm big into RC model ships and have been for years. I just started a 1/144 scale RC version. Looking forward to seeing your work here!

C

cgutzmer

Amazing! Doing a great job so far - looking forward to seeing how it all comes together :D
Chris

airbob

CV-6 Enterprise below waterline frames

This is completion of the frames below the waterline...

Attachments

• Enterprise main hull construction-below waterline.jpg
    Enterprise main hull construction-below waterline.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Enterprise main hull construction-below waterline 1.jpg
    Enterprise main hull construction-below waterline 1.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 15

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Great idea for a project airbob. You're off to a nice start too.

This is a good subject, that has virtually no coverage in the commercial model market.

Best of luck with her, and I'll be checking in regularly.

dansls1

May 7, 2007
This looks great! I can't imagine building a fleet of 1/400th scale planes, but I'm sure some of you crazy small builders out there will have a ball with that!

airbob

I have begun the tedious process of designing and placing the below the waterline hull plates....I have then painted these with a rather thick acrylic filler and sealer....which I will sand after complete drying to give a hopefully smoother finish...since I don't have a CAD program this is done the old-fashioned way by measuring in mm and then transcribing on paper...all in all I think it is a rather good fit...though by all means certainly not perfect!
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
Let us give thanks for all our blessings!....Bob out...

Attachments

• beginning hull plating.jpg
    beginning hull plating.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 33
  • beginning hull plating 2.jpg
    beginning hull plating 2.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 17
  • beginning hull plating 3.jpg
    beginning hull plating 3.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 21

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks for the update Airbob. I was wondering how you were going to tackle the hull plating on this scratch-build. That's not an easy task. Looks like you're doing well though.

Can't wait to see more of this majestic little lady.

airbob

CV-6 Enterprise build with continuing hull work.

Here is the result of my first beta build of some of the hull plating above waterline....the flared bow presents a rather difficult geometric puzzle...but I have pretty well worked out the most difficult parts...no CAD here...just a ruler and a lot of measuring help from the good ol' Photoshop CS measuring tool!

Attachments

• PDR_0329.jpg
    PDR_0329.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 13
  • PDR_0330.jpg
    PDR_0330.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 8
  • PDR_0331.jpg
    PDR_0331.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 8

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Great work Airbob. Not bad at all for "measure and cut".

Just be sure to not inhale any of that Kilz when you're measuring and cutting, or you might end up with a fishing schooner instead of a carrier. :)

airbob

redo of CV-6 hull...

I have decided to redesign the below the hull parts due to poor design of the initial try...I stripped the hull sections off the old hull frame.wall1hamr..I have used the design plans measurements for the waterline distances, and bow bulkheads, and design views- so the sections should be pretty true to form...it is just a little slow...but it is a great learning process, and a lot of pleasure in placing these completed sections on the hull framing! I have decided to abandon the hull "painting" for now...You can see some of the plates on the last view...
This hull almost got "burned up" in the oven:eek:ops:....
My wife did not know that I was trying to dry the hull last week after I painted it...she almost burned it up when she redid the oven temperature.for a Thanksgiving pie..without checking if anything was inside....luckely...she took it out before the oven got above 300 degrees...close call for this hull...just a little brown areas around some of the Elmers' glue was all the damage WHEW!. Lucked out there!
:pballoon6

Attachments

• PDR_0336.jpg
    PDR_0336.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 10
  • PDR_0337.jpg
    PDR_0337.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 9
  • PDR_0338.jpg
    PDR_0338.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 7

airbob

Have just finished the below-the-waterline hull on the enterprise, minus the propulsion machinery!...now to begin the hull up to the flight deck...and this should be a little more fun, and less tedious! This has not been painted...just the coloring of the printer paper...These sections have all been saved for posterity...:p

Attachments

• PDR_0351.jpg
    PDR_0351.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 7
  • PDR_0357.jpg
    PDR_0357.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 8
  • PDR_0358.jpg
    PDR_0358.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 9

airbob

Continuing progress on 1:400 hull of CV-6 "Enterprise"

I have begun to design and add these above waterline sections to the hull of the 1:400 CVN-6 "Enterprise"....there is a large flair from foc'sle deck to waterline for the bow area, and the bow "bulge" below the waterline can be clearly seen on one view...this is the beta build...the hull sections may be merged at a later date to give a smoother line...:wave:

Attachments

• PDR_0359.jpg
    PDR_0359.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 12
  • PDR_0360.jpg
    PDR_0360.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 10
  • PDR_0362.jpg
    PDR_0362.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 9
  • PDR_0364.jpg
    PDR_0364.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 12
T

tausugAir

Sir Bob, very inspirational method.... I'm tempted to copy your way and do my Cannon Class Philippine Navy PF-11 Rajah Humabon (nee USS Atherton).. I salute you ... Regards ....

airbob

This is my current progress at designing and placing the above the waterline hull panels on the Beta build of the CV-6 Enterprise.....the bow flair is most dramatic on this hull and is really "cool"- I just love it!
balloon6

Attachments

• PDR_0370.jpg
    PDR_0370.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 11
  • PDR_0371.jpg
    PDR_0371.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 13