Scrap \ junk yard scene!

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
Hello everyone, does anyone know who might make a junk yard or scrap yard model? I want to add a scene like this to my layout, but i have been un successful in locating one. Any info or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!:wave:

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
You do. Check your scrap box for anything and everything you can use to make a completely unique scrap yard. A $1.00 store is a good place to buy cheapie toys that you can use to make junk parts. Also, old watches, clocks, appliances, nearly anything can be creatively used in this respect. Have fun!

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Woodland Scenics, Chooch Enterprises, Grandt Line and several others sell component parts to make a junk yard. There are also a couple of companies that sell complete kits with buildings and junk.

fseva

Nov 27, 2006
A complete kit...

trainsteve2435 said:
Does anyone know who might make a junk yard or scrap yard model? I want to add a scene like this to my layout
:thumb: How about Jurgens Junk Yard by Monroe Models?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I made crushed cars by takingone HO scale vehicle and wrapping pieces of aluminum foil around them to get a basic car shape which i then flattened and spray painted various colors. Stack them up in piles to get a cheap and easy auto salvage scene.
Ralph

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Take a look at this page and enter "junk" in the serch box.

http://www.woodlandscenics.com/index.htm

I have this set.

a1852b.jpg

Trash up the place. :thumb:

TC

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
Steve,

You and I are pretty much in the same boat. However my future scrap yard will be huge by HO measurement. I need a inbound yard about 2' by 4' , not including the scrap cranes ,kress carrier traffic and details. My problem will be how to make huge piles of scrap. I figure the piles will be maybe 6" to 10" tall with a base of more than 12" to 18".

I'm thinking of stacking 2" foam board ,cut to the shape of a pile and then covered with saw-dust. Painted with rust color paint,with pieces of quote on quote scrap metal glued to that. Pencil shavings will work nicely too,just as long as you paint everything up,a wonderful shade of rust.

Ken Larson , another steelie fan ,came up with the piling of 2" foam board method.

Hope this helps,it sure will when I build mine.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

liven_letdie

Mar 22, 2005
Turlock, CA
www.downthelinetrains.com
Slagpot,

An idea for your mounds of scrap, how about laying down steel wool to the foam bard as a base either painted rusty or real rusty, i think that would look pretty cool. I just picked a variety pack of different coarseness and if you flattened them out it would be a real nice srap metal scene. Just a thought!!!

Good luck, let us see pics!!! stooges8

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
imo some of the "junkyard scenes" I've seen in the "popular" model rr mags look like a dog ate some toy cars that he didn't like. I stopped buying said mags when I came accross this site.