SCRAMjet test successful....

Discussion in 'Model History & Reference' started by nebeltex, Nov 16, 2004.

1. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

fantastic footage from NASA. aviation milestone. anybody modeling this one?
  2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

3. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

i really liked the NASA BUFF mother ship. still the same concept of a v1 under an he111. i did not know NASA had B52s but probably should have.
  4. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

nasa was using a buff back in the x-15 program as a drop mothership. 1960's. probably the exact same plane.

I have the x43 with the pegasus rocket in 1/48 scale at:
  5. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

The aircraft used for the X-43 launch was "Balls 8" (52-0008), an NB-52B, converted to a drop ship for the X-15 program in the late '50s. It was one of two aircraft so modified.

The other was "The High And Mighty One", NB-52A 52-0002.

Both of these aircraft were very early models of the B-52, and were used for test purposes their entire careers. 0002 was retired after the X-15 program, but 0008 continued with other high altitude drop duties, on programs such as the lifting body project (M2F2, HL-10, X-24). It also launched the early Pegasus orbital rocket-planes.

The N prefix in the designation stands for "modified".
  6. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

The first BUFF converted for NASA use was NB-52A 52-0003. It was converted in 1959 and remained in service until 1968 when it was retired. It is now part of the collection of the Pima County Museum in Tucson, Arizona.

B-52A 52-0002 was scrapped at Tinker AFB, Oklahoma after a reclamation authorization was given in April of 1961.

The third B-52A, 52-0001, was transfered to the Chanute Technical Training Center, near Rantoul, Illinois. It was there in 1969 when I was at the school for technical training in the fuels career field. It was my first look even at a B-52. It was a beautiful site to me. It might still be in that area as part of an exhibit somewhere.
  7. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

When you're right, your're right, and guess what, you're right. I thought it was the middle A-model, but I must have remembered it wrong.
  8. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I may not know a lot, but I do know the BUFF 8v) However, I had to double check my memory before I posted...hehehe. Just wanted to make sure the information was correct. Trivia question: How many different BUFF models participated in the Vietnam War? Answer later if no one answers correctly or for that matter, answers at all...hehehe. Winner will recieve a virtual pat on the back.
  9. rickstef

rickstef Guest

3 models

C, D, G if I remember correctly

10. Square

Square Member

so whats the site that has the pegasus and the X-43
    the space museum site :)
  11. rickstef

rickstef Guest

12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Ash,

Howbout three.............mostly Ds, F and Gs and if my research/brain is right the Fs were first.

AND...... by my calculations.........8 operations losses 18 combat losses for a grand total of 26 from 1962 - 1973.........Wow that's a lot of metal.....and way too many crews.
  13. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Yes Bowdenja...and one of those crews -- Ebony 2 -- was from the base I was stationed at during Linebacker II. A couple of the aircrew were friends of mine. Although two were killed when the SAM hit, neither were friends, but I did know them. The F model was first, dropping Arc Light missions, until replaced by the "big belly" D models. Later when Linebackers began, the D were assisted by G models. Oddly enough, the older D models had better ECM against the SAMs than the G models did. I did read once, and can't find the reference any more to verify, but I have in the back of my mind that two of the Tagboard missions (the D-21B drones under the wings of the B-52H) had their flight paths modified to overfly North Vietnam, either before or after the Chinese nuke site overflights. Or they could have been planned flights for the Tagboard birds before the program was cancelled. If the flights did happen during any of the four Chinese flights (none of which were fully successful, though two missions did have the drone return to pickup area where the capsule was lost), it would mean that the B-52H also had missions over Vietnam. I just wish I could find the reference again. Also, during one of the F model missions, General Jimmy Stewart (of Hollywood fame) flew one of the Arc Light missions just prior to his retirement. It was in 0149 I believe and it is one I am repainting the GPM model to. Also, the BUFF's older brother, the B-47, flew several missions over Vietnam, but as a recon bird...not a bomber.
  14. Square

Square Member