Scouts/Boy Scouts

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Wolfshead57, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Wolfshead57

Wolfshead57 Member

Hi all,

Now i really do need all your help. I run a local Scout Group (in England) and you may or may notknow that Scouting is 100 years. So i want the boys and girls in my group to do some models with a Scouting theme. So this is where you all come in, out there somewhere are models that are suitable for children 8+ to do that have a Scouting link or theme. Now I dont know what they are or where they are but i feel sure you all do.

NOw i want you to rack your grey matter on this one and see what you can come up with. It does not have to be a paper model of Baden Powell, it may be a wolf or a JUngle Book character, a compass (I have the Jack sparrow one) or a camp fire the list is endless really and it will get bigger and bigger if you all use your imagination and help this old man out.

So come on give it a bash and lets see what we can come up with

Thanks in advance
  2. Jacobs40K

Jacobs40K New Member

Have you tried the paper animals at Yamaha Papercraft?

Tie them into an Endangered Species Awareness lesson?
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Good One Jacobs40K!
  4. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Here are a couple of simple tipi models. The scouts could custom docorate them in a Boy Scout theme or a personal theme.

Tipi 1 close to top of page.

Tipi 2 close to bottom of page.

5. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

6. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Hi, Wolfshead,

I'd give you a scout handshake, but its very hard to do with a dial-up connection.

I retired as a Scout Master back in 1990 and I know that lots have changed since them, but the only model I can remember was a tepee that both of my boys built. It was in Ben Hunt's book, Indian Crafts and Lore which was out of print for over 20 years, until Crazy Crow reprinted it. Check out for everything you might want for Native American crafts and regalia --- great on-line catalog. The Ben Hunt book has the best information, aimed at kids, on Native Americans, regalia, dancing,etc. I've ever run across. Non-NA material seems to be none existant, especially that aimed at our fellow scouts across the pond!

I don't remember a great deal about Scouting in the UK, but perhaps this will help. I dug through the BSA web side and didn't turn up anything appropriate, but check with your national office --- you might turn up something.

Bob, the blueeyedbear

BTW --- the fancy clothing we wear at pow-wows, etc., is called regalia, not a costume. You probably know that, but most of the "white eyes" still think we wear Indian Costumes and call outselves Indians. :wink:

P.S. You might also check --- they specialize in material for Order of the Arrow.
  7. Wolfshead57

Wolfshead57 Member

See I knew you Guys would come through, Blueeyedbear my Group are in touch (never know what you call this email thing, used to be pen-friends) with 2 Groups from your part of Globe and I can easily tie in the TePee idea to my winter Programme. So a big Grand Howl to you my friend.

As for the rest, woodengraver what can i say once more you come through for a fellow modeler cheers mate and thanks to youas well Jacobs40k & not to forget you SCE.
  8. Wolfshead57

Wolfshead57 Member

Just to let you all know that the ideas you gave have fired me into yet another direction SCE we still use totems and the model of the Cedar house will be used but get the Scouts to make their own totem,

and Woodengraver, the pic will now be used as an example to show the Scouts and then get them to design their own model camp fire.
  9. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Glad to help out.:)
  10. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

just trying to be;
    Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent!
  11. Darwin

Darwin Member

Here's a few thoughts....(1) bunches of long, thin, brown cylinders from cardstock and some jute twine could easily become a model rope bridge or signal tower. (2) how about (originally designed) neckerchief slides from cardstock? It shouldn't be too much effort to come up with the classic "ball in a cage" slide made from cardstock rather than whittled from wood. I could also easily visualize the classic Thunderbird slide in paper.
  12. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

13. Regie

Regie Member

Here's a crazy idea, but I promise you it works.

Back when I was a Venture Scout in the late eighties, we had a contest to build paper boats. They could be based on existing designs or be wholly original, but they had to be able to carry a person.

My team taped sheets wall lining paper together to make a very large paper square, and folded an origami Sampan. It floated remarkably well, with our smallest member as crew. Is this sort of thing still possible or has Health and Safety and Insurance legislation put a stop to htat kind of thing?

The other thing that occurs is the Cardstock Trebuchet thread. Could you get each patrol to build thier own (perhaps enlarged) and then have a competition? You could have prozes for greatest weight thrown, furthest distance with a standard projectile, target shooting etc.

Is it really the centenary? I joined the 47th Edenthorpe (Doncaster East District) Troop in the seventy fith anniversary year.

Damn I'm getting old!
  14. Wolfshead57

Wolfshead57 Member

Yes it is the Big 100 for us all, and we even have girls now as well.

Thanks guys keep them coming if you can love the woggle idea, not to sure about the boat and scout crew though it may be against so many regulations these days, but it still pionts towards another idea. I never thought of paper baots floating so maybe that will be in the mix as well now.
  15. angevine

angevine Member

I am a Beaver Scout Leader in Dorset and I am more than interested to see how this thread is going.

I have often wondered how to get my kids involved with this hobby to stimulate and enterain them. But my lot are all aged between 6 and 8 years old. Not an easy task to get them to do anything to great.

The closet I got was a pen holder for fathers day!!!

And with a name like mine 'Robert Baden Powell' (Yes that is my name) I should really get them to do something extra special.