Scorpion Mech

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Stev0, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

After seeing so many Korean and Japanese paper models designed and built and not downloadable I decided 'I WANT THAT'.

I decided to flip through the Battletech Mech recognization guide and build my own mech. The above is a fabrication of the mech built so I can output the final mesh as a paper model since the actual mech is infeasible.

The joints were not possible to create and I managed to design a ball and socket setup with flat pieces thanks to a design hint from a great fellow paper modeler Kancho.

Taking some design ideas from WW2 and Modern tanks I decided to make some other changes and upgrades. Currently I am about 80% finished with all the hard work behind me. There will be extras like wire work (antenneas, Ladders, Grabbons, Crashbars and the like) and plating. Maybe a cockpit later on depending how the vanilla model works out.

I just slapped on a cheap camo pattern for the render.
  2. Al hazlet

Al hazlet Member

Oh, very nice indeed. I want one of these...
  3. damraska

damraska Member

Back in the mid 80s, Revell released a model of something almost identical to your design as part of the Robotech Defenders series. That mech was itself taken from a Japanese series called Dougram. Here's a link to the entire Robotech Defenders series:

The model Assult Squad includes a walker very similar to yours.

Anyway your mesh looks very nice indeed and I look forward to seeing the completed model.

4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Yes all the robotech defenders mechs were licensed from their respective companys for the plastic models but stolen by FASA to incorporate into Battletech. The result was a lawsuit that saw all images of the unlicensed products removed from the game. There are 2 other mechs in my design lineup.
  5. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Stev0,

I like your render...that is default render engine from Max? look forward to see this unfold mesh.
  6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Yes it's the default renderer.

I just wish the company shelled out some cash for a better renderer license.
  7. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Looks great!

I don't usually go for Mech type stuff, but that one looks like it'll be a great build and I'm sure my kid will love it. Looking forward to seeing that one...
  8. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Very Nice!!

I'll be waiting for this one also!
    Excellent design!
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Ok ... back to work.

I spent today going through some details I want to add. I expect the details to be fleshed out in texturing.

Also here is a key piece I hope works out or else the whole project ends up in the pooper.

The articulating legs. The knee joint isn't functional 'yet'. After the leg beta build I will incorporate a tab and slot like knee joint.

The bottom 3rd will be printed on thin bond like paper because it is meant to be a canvas like cover that protects the joints from the elements.
  10. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hey Steve,

you going to do the Nebo?

11. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

No. My paper models will be Battletech based.
  12. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Yeah that is the Robotech Defenders model of the assault squad set.

the story of that is here...

FASA decided to take the design to their game and the license ran out.
  14. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Those are plastic kits, look closely as he didn't sand down his seam lines.

In his post there were 3 other pics and they were paper;

Hey Steve O,

How about a Locust from Battletech? It's originally from a series called Crusher Joe but I don't know it's original name.

Getter 1