Scissors question.

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by keith, Apr 8, 2006.

1. keith

keith Member

This may sound daft...I'm wondering what type of scissors people are using.

I have 2 pairs of scissors, an expensive pair of hair cutting scissors which i use for fine cutting and a pair of cheap craft scissors for general work.

Both of them are messing up my finger, the one next to the little finger.
    This is the finger i use to seperate the scissors once they have cut the material so you wouldn't think that alot of force is being applied.
    Every time i cut something i end up with a serious dent in the top of my finger that results in a painful swelling.

Is it just that i have the wrong type of scissors? the cheap pair have a fatter rim than the expensive pair but still causes swelling.
    Do i have the wrong technique? i swapped to my little finger to give my other finger time to heal, the problem doesn't occur with that finger, although i have less 'control' of the scissors.

Anyone else had anything similar happen? i've taken to using paper masking tape to reduce the swelling if i need to use my bigger finger, but i'm thinking i need a better pair of scissors, maybe one that conforms to the angle of the finger when it is cutting. Any ideas as to which scissors might be best?

2. ramatoto

ramatoto Member

Hi Keith,

i think the kind of scissors depends to the kind of cardboard and how long the lines are, you want to cut:).

For long cuts, i use a steel-ruler and knife, and for little ones, especially small parts, - dont laugh! - a little pair of rounded scissors, which are normally used for finger-nails:grin:. It works , equall if you cut "normal" cardboard or doubled up to 2mm.

3. Gil

Gil Active Member

4. silverw

silverw Member

Hi Keith....

When using scissors, only your thumb should move, up and down. Your hand and fingers should hold the scissors steady and still. Your other hand should be used to guide the part through the scissors.

It took me a while to get the hang of this, but it sure does make it easier on the hand, in the long run!!

Good luck ... Bill
  5. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Yep, those scissors that Gil recommends gets a second from me. They have very sharp pointed tips that allow you to snip into very tight areas. They are cushioned so they are easy on the fingers.

The larger pair of scissors I use have no identification on them. I do not even remember when or where I picked them up. They are used to cut some straight lines and to cut outside perimeters of som circular or curved parts. My fingers fit in the handle quite easily and no discomfort is felt. Maybe you need a scissors with a larger hole in the handle for your fingers since the little finger does not get the dent.

A hobby knife and straight edge are used to cut long straight lines. I sometimes use the hobby knife free hand to cut out some small parts and those triangle waste pieces between tabs like on wheels and such.
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I third the fiskars micro-tip scissors............... one of the best tools in my arsenal. Thanks again Gil.
  7. Darwin

Darwin Member

Definitely the Fiscars. I recommend the ones with the titanium-coated blades. They also come in a larger (5-inch blade) version, using basically the same operating method. My hands are much happier since I discovered them.
  8. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

And I fifth the fiskars....I hope your getting the hint

Half the work is cut out(no pun intended) as the spring opens the blade up for you...Surprisingly helpfull

Oh by the way as FISKARS only ship US, I got mine in a sewing and material store...have look around

John John
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Cutting Edge Fiskars Scissors From Finland

Hi all,

I use Fiskars scissors, made in Finland.
    I have five of them, in different sizes and shapes, ranging from small, thin ones for tight situations to a large sturdy one for cutting through thick (1-2 mm) card. I´ve tried different brands of scissors, but I always come back to my usual Fiskars scissors, due to their sharpness, ergonomic handles and excellent overall quality.

Bengt :wink:

PS. Btw, I also have a small camping axe and gardening pruning shears of the same brand - same quality and lasting sharpness there.
  10. shrike

shrike Guest

Fiskars also do the micro tip in a traditional scissor in both 4 and 5 inch models. I have the 4 inch with soft rubber grip inserts, making them more comfy and giving a stylish two-tone effect<g>
  11. keith

keith Member

12. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I have trouble with finger holes in scissors myself. Tried a lot of things, but found this at a store near here. The store has since gone out of business, but there is a site on the web these little beauts are available.

They are great...allow precision cutting, easy to use and no finger holes for my fat hands to worry about. They are a bit expensive, but worth it.

13. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Those scissors look a bit short in the blade to me. Same thing with the tweezer-type scissors suggested above by Ashrunner - I personally prefer a longer blade to 'steer' the cut right and to be able to cut a longer line in one cut, without having to 'pump' too many times with the thumb . . .
    However, this is of course very much a matter of personal taste and preference. Btw, Fiskars have large handles and thumb holes, which suit even large size hands and fingers. They also cater for left-handed users. Actually, I most often use the long Fiskars "Dressmaking" scissors,
    as seen on the "click on craft" site of your first post.

Have a look at the site suggested above by Gil - there´s a 'UK' page under "Worldwide sites" for Fiskars scissors.

I would look for them either in a general hardware store, in an artist´s supply shop or a hobby shop. Or perhaps at a chemist´s?

best of luck!
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Check ebay out. I bought a spare pair for a VERY good price.

The others looked ok............. but there is now substitute for the REAL thing!

FISKARS Rule! Well that might be a little over the top, but there are the best I've tried.
  15. Darwin

Darwin Member

Not over the top at all, John....Fiscars do rule.....however, get two pairs. Once the other half sees it, the first pair is history. Don't ask me how I know.
  16. rowiac

rowiac Member

I've been using my Fiskars Softtouch Micro-Tip scissors for over four years, and they still work great. I found them one day at a Fry's Electronics store and then never saw them there again. Recently I saw the titanium nitride version at a fabric store and had to buy them for the cool look -- gold colored blades.

Other than that. it's nice that they're Made in USA (at least the ones they sell in the US are) and they have a lifetime warranty -- not bad.

Before the Fiskars I was using the scissors on my Victorinox Swiss Army knife for a little while. They worked better than anything else I could find up to that time.

17. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

For small parts, I use embroidery sissors. Got a 3 pack at Wal-Mart, one with about 2-inch blades, 1 with about 1-inch blades and 1 with curved blades. They are very sharp, pretty inexpensive, but are all metal and can be uncomfortable after awhile.
    I also use a regular pair of sewing sissors. There are sewing sissors with contoured handles that fit to the shape of your fingers when cutting. Very comfortable. They come in left and right-hand models. Be sure to get the right ones.
  18. Ken Horne

Ken Horne Member

I bought a Fiskars scisors with a sharpening tool a couple years back, on someones advice from I believe this forum, and I love them. The tool is a small plastic disk, with a white porcelin (?) rod fixed inside. This works tremendeously. Like honing carving chisels. Do it every so often and the blade cuts like a dream. I have looked lately for another, as I'd like a backup (I loose small things) but I have not seen one lately. I hope they are still around. I'm afraid though that the lawyers may have found that they sharpen too well, and therefore dangerous :-( If you find this set, I do recommend them.

Take care all

Kenny in Edmonton,

(Game Seven come and gone, but still love those Oilers!)
  19. Gil

Gil Active Member

Keep'em Sharp, Very Sharp...,

They were banned after a pair, freshly sharpened, were used to dispatch several attorneys involved in a cut and dried case...,

Just kidding, sorry Jim...,

20. George

George Member

Hello guys,

I missed really good tools. I mean Fiskars are great but even the small ones
    are a bit to blunt for my taste. I also needed good tweezers.

After a lot of surfing I found this:

The stuff is made in Asia...but very good quality...

I bought both the Micro and Iris scissors and my, oh my...I'm so happy!!!

And the tweezers are also great...

Orders arrived very quickly...from US to Sweden in a week...