scissors or knife?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by mapuc, Nov 24, 2004.

1. mapuc

mapuc Member

Don't know if this is the rigth category to put this question.

What do you prefere when cutting out details from the sheet?
    scissors or a hobbyknife that's made for cuting paper

In some situation the knife is the best thing to use
    and in other situation the scissors is the best

2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Markus,

I asked the same thing. Here's what I was told.

Whatever makes you comfortable. I switch up between an X-Acto knife (hobby craft knife) and a GOOD pair of scissors. So you right, knife for some stuff scissors for others.

And remember practice makes perfect.........and alot of models too!
  3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I use a hobby knife (X-acto with No. 11 blade) for most of my cutting, along with a straight edge. I also have a pair of very fine scissors for trimming of parts. Both used together are great parts makers. 8v)
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Markus, suggest you look at acquiring a pair of Friskars "micro touch" scissors. You'll find these to be indispensable in card modeling. Another item that might improve your enjoyment is an Olfa craft knife. I was a firm Xacto type till I finally purchased an Olfa. It's hard to explain but the cutting edge control and overall feel of this knife is in a word excellent.

5. mapuc

mapuc Member

Do you have an addres to where I can perhaps buy this olfa knife and this Xacto knife. I have to use both, to see wich one is best for me.
    Micro touch scissors? never heard of that before. Sounds like scissors you normally use in surgery

6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Correction; Fiskars Softouch Micro-Tip Scissors Item number 9921.

Fiskars scissors can be found in most craft and sewing stores.

Further info here:

Olfa is a Japanese company and their products can be found in most craft and/or sewing stores. They also make a user friendly hole cutter usually displayed along with their other products (they also make circular wheel cutters). The craft knife is item number AK-4, the circle cutter (compass cutter) is numbered CMP-1.

Further info here:

7. Hobby Knife? Scissors? You mean you guys don't go down to the flint quarry and knapp yourselves out a blade :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Excuse me. I'm feeling a little silly tonight
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Naw...........buying them give us more time to model! :lol:
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

It was Ron who tuned me in on both the Fiskars Micro Tip scissors and the Olfa craft knife. I held out for a while but decided to finally try them. Turned out to be some of the better advise that I've gotten. The great thing about the micro tip scissors is that you can cut clean slots as it cuts right down to the tip without distressing the card or 2 mm board. They are very sharp allowing concentration on the cut line and not the squeezing force which is mitigated by the soft touch action of these scissors. You just have to use the Olfa craft knife to understand the recommendation (they're especially useful in cutting intricate curves).

Now on the art of flint knapping..., are you a Clovis or an Aurignacian?

Best regards, Gil
  10. silverw

silverw Member

Hey Guys...

I do most of the cutting with a knife (skalple..what ever)... when it's along a straight edge. For curves, I go to the curvey scissors( cuticle???)... Trimming the curves, I use the (Nale klippers)

What ever works!!! :evil:

11. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Could I, please, get a pic of the Fiskars Micro Tip. Have been looking for them, but don't know what to look for (might be different name here in their country of origin...). - L.
  12. Maurice

Maurice Member

13. mapuc

mapuc Member

And what does that mean?

14. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Thanks, Maurice. Now I know what I'm looking for. The dealers here wouldn't recognize "microtip", not even in the catalogue. Now I can point them to it. "Softtouch microtips" sewing scissors ought to do the trick. -L.
  15. charliec

charliec Active Member

That's really obscure - a Clovis point is a kind of flint arrowhead made by the native tribes in North America - I think the other one is a style of flint tool found in stone age sites in Nothern Europe. The connection with the thread escapes me.

16. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Charlie...I believe Mark was making a joke about choice of cutting tools...I thought it was funny. Sometimes the way I cut out parts you would think I was using a sharpend stone blade. :D

17. Lionheart

Lionheart New Member

Made an arrowhead once from flint for a Paleontology project. Not easy!
  18. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I used make my arrowheads out of obsidian. Much easier and sharper than flint. As a matter of fact, during one of my NCO training courses in the Air Force, one portion of the course was for each student to select an activity of some type and "teach" the other students how to do it. I selected arrowhead chipping as my activity. I figured since I learned how to do it in five minutes during my days at the USAF Survival School, I could teach other NCOs how to do it. It was the only part of the course where I scored higher than anyone else in class. 8v) However, I ended up Tail-end Charlie in the final standings.
  19. jrts

jrts Active Member

You got there in the end and that make you a winner :D

As for what to cut with, I use a hobby knife with a No 10 or 11 blade and three pair of scissors (one pair stollen from the wife on a materials raid)
    Its all down to what you find easy to use.
    I have found, as most will say its all down to trial and error :roll:

Just have fun

20. Janusz

Janusz Member

Hi everyone
    Greetings from Mexico

Well, after using medical scalpel or lancet wit No 11 blades and also exacto and excel knives with a wide variety of blades for many years, I finally switched to Olfa hobby knife and... here I will remain.
    The level of control and sharpness are superb and the price at least here in the Aztec country looks just right. I find Olfa knife perfect for stright lines and small curves.
    I also use Olfa circle cutter for... guess - cutting circles and big circulary openings.
    Talking about big curves I personally find scissors more comfartable to use.
    I have a small collection of scissors and my favourites are German self-sharpening scissors (Horn Collection - Inox Straight) they are expensive but offer great level of control and proporly used they last very long.
    I tried olfa multi purpose scissors (SCS-1) but their serrated edge makes uneven cuts.
    About Fiskars, here in Mexico never found Microtip scissors, but from what some of You wrote they are worth having.

Keep on with Your great work