Scissors, Cutting blade and exacto Blade question

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by gian7675, Jun 6, 2007.

1. davelant

davelant Member

I just wanted to pass along some scissors advice from Thomas Pleiner, the German designer. I never thought of using scissors until I read his advice; hold the scissors stationary (except for the cutting motion) in one hand, and move the paper around with the other to bring the cut line to the scissors. It worked better than I imagined.
  2. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I use this technique with a knife for certain shapes, but I still prefer having the '3rd hand' of the cutting surface to take one potential error factor out of the equation ;)
    Ultimately though, it's obviously a matter of what works for each individual.
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

When you are cutting with a knife, try and align the direction of the cut with your blade, fingers, wrists and elbow, so you are just pulling the blade in a straight line back towards your elbow. Trying to twist the blade this way and that is asking for inaccurate cuts and broken blades. So the logic stands; move the material and keep the cut in the same (comfortable and controlable) direction.

4. drivan

drivan New Member

I used x-acto blades but now just a standard scissors and my supreme super usefull machine

(mine is in black :p )

The standard scissors to cut easy parts and the little scissors of the survival razor ( really I dont know if is the name of the knife ) to cut the littletriangles, Im tired of change the blade in the worst critic moment, the little scissors never fail.
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I purchased a set of fine paper cutting scissors at Michael's Craft stores. They are amazing. They all have a slight radius to them so they are great and you know where and when to use then. I rarely use exactly blades. I have damaged too many parts that way, but I do use then upon occasion, usually in multiple passes.

I have one of those knives on my key chain. I also have a bigger one I always carry with me. A most useful tool! :)
  6. jappert

jappert New Member

About the question which sciccors to use i can be very clear.
    A very clean cut and if u uses diferent types of sciccors you can reach almost every corner.
    For the details i use swann&morton blades 11 and 15 in a X-acto handle.
    Sharp equipment is fundamental.
  7. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I have a set of Fiskars, they are great, expensive, but worth the money and you save in the long run. :)
  8. terrinecold

terrinecold Member

I use two pairs of Fiskars scissors, large ones to cut the part of the sheet and to do all the long cuts (in particular long and straigtht) then I have the soft touch micro tip for the details.
    For some case (maybe 20% of parts and 2% of cuts) I use surgical knives which can be bought at a pharmacy in big boxes, they are throwaway in their normal application for obvious reasons but they stay sharp longer than standard cutting blades.
    I used to do all with the knives but it ends up hurting my hands and fingers, I have enough issues with those with the keyboard, the mouse and rock climbing to not compound it with paper modeling.
  9. Zathros

Zathros Guest

The hurting hands is one of the big problems I have with cutting, ad that to Neurological injuries, ouch!!
  10. Kiyoshi

Kiyoshi Member

I use the basic hobby knife (cheap but sharp, and you can break off the tip when it gets blunt) for straight lines, a scalpel for detail work and scissors for curves on the outside. Curves on the inside are either done with scalpel, circular cutter or hole puncher (or a combination of those three). I don't really have a favorite brand, since the cheap no brand stuff I am using now seems to do the job pretty well.
  11. treadhead1952

treadhead1952 Member

Hi All,

I have the Fiskars Soft Grip Titanium 4" blade scissors that are my main slicing and dicing weapon of choice. Unfortunately the other day the large loop developed a crack and now I will be looking to replace them with another pair of the same. For the tiny corners and close cuts I also use my trusty old blue plastic handled Xacto handle usually with a #11 blade in place. I also have a Harbor Freight Hobby Knife Kit that has a host of blade designs, multiple handles and that has seen a little use. But the previously mentioned two items handle 90% of my cutting needs. And always buy the 100 count box of Xacto #11 blades, nothing worse than trying to cut with a dull blade or one that has a broken tip.
  12. treadhead1952

treadhead1952 Member

Hi All,

I finally broke down and replaced my old pair of Fiskars Titanium 4" Scissors. I really wanted to just come up with a replacement pair with the same bright orange soft grip handles. Unfortunately Fiskars has gone and replaced that particular color and style with a new one. Instead of bright orange they are now a two tone gray with the soft grip portion being a lighter gray than the hard part of the handles. The blades are also black now instead of the orange-ish looking hue of before. But these are supposedly titanium coated. Oh yeah, instead of being able to just buy one pair, these came in a two pack, the only way to get the titanium soft grip type now.

Oh well, now I have one pair for my modeling and one pair for my leather hobby. I think it was cutting some heavy duty 9 ounce leather for a holster that cracked the handle on the old one anyway, so maybe that will be a good thing.
    zathros likes this.
  13. VoltSHock

VoltSHock New Member

I think its better to use both depends on what is easier
  14. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I use curved manicure scissors when I trim parts after they're glued in place. I don't use them often enough to develop blisters. That's happened when I do wirework using pliers. I now try to wear gloves when using pliers.
    zathros likes this.
  15. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator

This is an old thread, but one full of good information. I have quite a few new boxes of "X-acto blades, but the way they dull so fast, and the strain the can put on small parts requires a touch that I am losing. The curved scissor collection helps me the most. It has been quite some time that I have posted any model that I have built. Unfortunately, my time is taken up with welding, and manufacturing, and fixing real objects, not their representations. I'd rather do the representations, to be honest. Maybe soon. :)
  16. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Another thing that I have found that helps keeping blades sharp, are 4 way nail file buffer shine polishing blocks.

Using the different sides to sharpen your blades (like your wife would polish and shine her nails).
    *NOTE* BUY YOUR OWN (or have your wife or girlfriend buy one for you)! DO NOT TAKE YOUR WIFE'S (OR GIRLFRIEND'S) POLISHING BLOCK! SHE MIGHT KILL YOU (at the least, beat you to every inch of your live)!!!
    lyter1958 and zathros like this.
  17. zathros

You are a person of infinite patience Rhaven. :)
    Rhaven Blaack likes this.
  18. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

That one of the GREAT things about this hobby. It helps to develop patience in one's own self. :hide:
  19. zathros

For some, it causes me pain, so I have to watch and wish. :)
  20. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

I use Fiskars padded knife (triangle shape handle) that grips the #11 blades for detail work and inside cuts, a quilt rotary cutter for doing long straight cuts (fast and comfortable), finally scissors for cutting any outside arcs or curves.

The knife and rotary cutter need a good back-up to keep blade on the cut line, use a 24" long x 6" wide x 3/16" height quilting ruler that has some anti-slip kitchen drawer lining glued to it. Put the blade on the edge and cut away, the 3/16" height helps support the blade for vertical cuts.