Sci-Fi related objects

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Darwin, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Darwin

Darwin Member

While trolling for 3D content, I ran across a site with a ton of Science Fiction related .obj files for free download. Check out

Granted that the files are intended for use in Bryce, there are several file converters around that will change them into lightwave objects, etc.

Speaking of Bryce, Daz3D has Bryce 5.5 avaliable (download version, anyway) for $19.95, though you need to jump through a few hoops to get the $100-off cupon (like making a free registration at a 3D-art related forum). And, if you think that is too much, they are giving version 5.0 away as a free download. Snoop around a bit on Daz3D if you are at all interested
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hey Darwin,
    Kind of strange you mentioned Bryce5 as I had downloaded it earlier today.
    Well according to the clock that was yesterday!
    Anyway, I played around with it for a little while and it seems like pretty darn good software, although I am no expert.
    It is awful slow on rendering though. Even with a 3.2 Ghz processor it took a while to render the scene I was playing around with.
    They are saying on the site that version 5.5 is much faster at rendering though.
    For someone who is really into this type of stuff, I would think $20 is one heck of a bargain for the 5.5 version.
    Spending 5 minutes to join a forum to get a hundred dollars off would also be worth every second.
    Also, I am really impressed with some of the scenes that others have made with this software.
    Even if your not interested in the software it's worth a visit to the gallery, just to see some fascinating work, really awesome stuff!

3. Gearz

Gearz Member

WooHoo Christmas !! thanks Darwin. The Buck Rogers Marauder looks like a great quickie. Unless one of the guru's knows of an alternative method, I think you need Bryce to convert .obp files to other formats. I'll never get the software to run on my machine, would someone be willing to convert them for me,? ( .lwo .obj .cob .3ds ) or at least the Buck Rogers Marauder?

4. wildheart258

wildheart258 New Member

I thought it was Christmas, too...but there doesn't seem to be a free .OBP viewer in existence.