SCI FI OR FANTASY? that is the question!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Bionic Modeler, Oct 11, 2008.

1. I would like to propose a new category for this "SciFi" category. It has been my humble opinion that much of the work posted here has nothing whatever to do with "Science" and everything to do with "Fantasy". "SciFi" implies there is some basis in science for a piece of work. It shouldnt defy the laws of physics. While I am amazed at the quality of what I would prefer to call "Fantasy", it has nothing to do with "Science". Shouldn't a design have some connection with science?

This is not to say that fantasy type work is not of value. Obviously they are hugely popular and I mean it no criticism. I just kind of cringe when some of this really far out creative stuff is presented as "Sience" Fiction. Just drop the Science part and we are spot on.

In any event I hope this is taken the way I mean it. I love all forms of modeling even the ones I don't fully understand. So Please guys don't get mad, I just want to see if I am the only one who thinks this way?
  2. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Well, science fiction is based on current or future science or technology. So things like things from Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, definitely deal with future science and technoloy.

Leaving it just as fiction...Well, that could be pretty broad. Someone might place a shoe with airplane wings and a satellite for a head as fiction. With science fiction, again, off of future technology. [ It's Pretty odd to see a disconfigured shoe]

I think Science Fantasy would be abit odd... I know Fantasy could deal with Science Fiction, but when it comes to mind, some people may think, Witches, Warlocks, and Magic Oh my.

I'm not getting mad (That's for sure :)) But, I'm not sure what your original question was. Or statment. I believe you want to start a category within Science Fiction? (Correct me if I'm wrong) I think it should be left alone as it is ;)
  3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Essentially the Jetsons would be Fantasy despite it's setting is the future.
  4. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

I think your definition of Science Fiction is problematic. While Jules Verne would be classed as Science Fiction (as he heavily researched almost everything and projected forward from that), H.G.Wells, by his own admission, would not. Much of what Wells wrote purposely and knowingly defied the laws of physics for the sake of "a ripping good yarn". And using a definition of Sci-Fi that excludes Wells might not fly too well.:rolleyes:
    It's a difficult line to draw and I'm not sure anyone has done it effectively yet, at least not to everyone's acceptance.
    I certainly agree that most of the science-fiction popular today is more like science-fantasy, but without highly qualified board of review going over each model and it's source material for "acceptable science levels", I think you may be spinning your wheels on this one. Just my opinion.
    But good luck, maybe you can resolve this everyone's delight!
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I dont think another category in our already sprawling structure is a good idea unless its something that CANT fit anywhere else :)
    p.s. we are looking into way to make the navigation easier - any takers? ;)
  6. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Very old debate, and I've been caught in it with friends more than a few times. :)

If my understanding of Tim's original query is correct, then the solution (IMHO) is a rather simple one: Just rename the section to "Sci-Fi / Fantasy" ??

Just a suggestion...
  7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

How about Science Fiction/Fantasy as a subject then. You can bridge it all that way.
  8. TonyG2

TonyG2 Member

You could regard Science Fiction as a believable extrapolation of today's technology.

Anything beyond that would be science fantasy.

Still causes problems though. The Discovery, Leonov, Aries etc from 2001 and 2010 would be science fiction but the dealings with the monolith would take it into the realms of fantasy.

Star Wars has always had fantasy overtones. Magic swords, wise wizards, Dark Lords. Give the hero a horse instead of an X-Wing and your back to pure fantasy (or Westerns - if anyone remembers "Legend of the Golden Gun").
  9. widget

widget Member

I have to agree with T.C.--SF&F if it really must be changed.

Tony,I tried REALLY hard to forget that movie. :-
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Updated name - it will suffice until we have a reorg ;)
    p.s. anyone that would like to be involved in making our forums easier to navigate please let me know :)
  11. OK it's settled then. SciFi/Fantasy it is. See that wasn't so hard. All we have to do now is have the moderator make the necessary adjustments.
  12. Kjev

Kjev Member

Organize it like our local library. Everything non-real-world oriented is "Fiction." Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Romance, Historical Fiction, Alternate Histories, Weird oddball stories (you know, the kind the critics love but the rest of the world reads it and says "What the . . .?!?!?") is all in the same department.

It makes finding something to read . . . interesting at times.
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I thought I already did... ;)