schreiber greek bireme

Tirta

Hello All,

This is my new ship: Greek Bireme from Schreiber.
This is a good kit, not too complicated but looks good enough (I hope so)
and so far the parts fit very well.
The designer is Alvar Hansen.

Sorry for the quality of the pictures, I took it with my cellphone camera,
since my brother borrows my digital camera.

More pictures later.

Regards,

Tirta

Attachments

• Picture(58).jpg
    Picture(58).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Picture(59).jpg
    Picture(59).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 155

Tirta

more pictures

Attachments

• Picture(60).jpg
    Picture(60).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Picture(61).jpg
    Picture(61).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Picture(62).jpg
    Picture(62).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 143
J

Jim Nunn

Great looking model, good job on keeping the deck straight.

Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Super looking build, Tirta!:)

The photos aren't so bad considering it's from a cell phone...never thought they could take such nice photos! I find it difficult to focus my camera at times, and end up taking a bunch of photos before the picture is in focus...I found I sometimes get too close to the model and the picture ends up out of focus, probably something to do with the focal length of the lens. If I stay at least a foot away from the model I can then get a clearer shot and then edit/crop the extraneous background out using my picture software program and resize the photo for posting...not sure how that works with a cell phone camera.

As I said, your photos are great considering it's a cell phone camera, but I would be curious to see how they would end up if you increased the distance from the model when you take the shot and then edit the photo file.

I'm looking forward to seeing more when you can.

Cheers!
Jim

Tirta,

Excellent model, and interesting subject. It almost looks like some balsa wood models I've done in the past....

Jim,

You take great pictures of your builds. I've always wondered what your photo secret was. I have lots of trouble with close ups on small details or small scale builds. I'm going to try your advice. I'm probably getting too close with my camera. I just upgraded from a 3.1 Megapixel to a 5.2 Megapixel, so I'm hoping that will help my close up resolution.

Tirta

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your kind words. :)

Finally, I have finished building and rigging the ship.
Here are the pictures:

Now I have to build the oars and the shields.
There are lots of them, I think it is going to be a very tedious job. :(

To: Jim Nunn
Jim, the deck is straight, because it is glued to cardboard,
so it is not difficult.

To: Jim Krauzlis
Jim, I should read your advice here before I took the shot.
As you may notice some of the new pictures are also blurry.
Sorry about that.
Oh well maybe in the future I am going to try taking the shot far enough.

To: eibwarrior
Yes the wood texture in Alvar Hansen models are always very good.
It looks very similar to the real wood.

Regards,

Tirta

Very nice job Tirta...

The rigging may be out of focus, but it still looks like a very clean job.:grin:

Bogged down with oars... Hey, I can sympathize. I'm bogged down in secondary guns on KGV right now. Some parts seems never-ending. :roll:

Tirta

Thanks guys for the nice comment.

eibwarrior,
I have seen your kgv, it looks very nice.
how many secondary guns do you have to make?

Jim,
not so fast, I still have to make the oars, and there are 56 of them <sigh>
And it is rather hard to color the paper edge since the oar is so small so it is easily bent or broken. I guess I have to take it slow.
This is definitely very tedious. :(

regards,

Tirta

Tirta,

56 oars!!!! Wow, that's going to test your patience. Maybe by the end of Febraury? I don't know how fast you build, but that would take me a long while.

Thanks for the comments on KGV. I've completed 5 of the 8 secondary turrets. Then I get back into some fun stuff like the cage masts and other smaller details.

It doesn't help that I'm building a 1/700 plastic CV-13 USS Franklin right now too. What kind of ship modeler would I be if I only worked on one project at a time? :roll: