Scenery

Nick8564

Sep 3, 2004
What can anyone tell me about how to build montains and the best stuff to use, and everything else to, grass, roads or any thing to help me on this end? Thanks

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hey Nick, welcome aboard! That's quite a large topic with many different answers. Lots of us have had success with different techniques and have our favorites. All of the things you ask about have been talked about in past threads several times on The Gauge so you may find some quick info right here by clicking on the "search" function up above.
If you have more specific questions I'll bet you'll get a bigger response.
Jim's idea about finding a popular book about scenary is a good one.
Best wishes,
Ralph

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you want realistic asphalt roads, get a rooll of the AMI rubber roadbed material. I don't know how good it works as roadbed, I didn't buy it for that, but it makes great asphalt roads. I little white or yellow chart tape will make realistic center lines on your road.

trains1972

Sep 1, 2004
philadelphia, pa
pg.photos.yahoo.com
There are several ways to make mountians it depends on what type of material you have handy or how much money you want to spend. I put up a drop ceiling in a bedroom and had a lot of scrap tiles. I put the tile over an edge and hit the tile to break it off into about 1 to 2 inch strips. The uneven edge looks great for rock forms. After I had a bunch I started to glue with white glue paint side down and stacked them like bricks. I even ran a knife along the top of the tile to make thinner pieces. The tops of the mountains I use balled up newspapers and spackle mixed with water the mix should be watery. I took paper towels and I cut them in half and dipped them in the spackle mix then placed the paper towel flat over the newspaper.
To paint the mountain I used spackel mixed with water and a dark brown paint dye it looked like light gray paint. I used a brush and put that on heavy and let it dry. Then I used washes of different colors start with the darkest use as many coats as needed to get the right base color. I used 4 coats of the dark brown before I went to the lighter colors. I put the wash on with a paint brush I hardly had to touch the tiles the wash will run over the mountian. Here are a few pictures to give you an idea of how it looks. First picture is just the tile no paint, second picture is with the spackle mix with the dark brown paint and the last picture is as far as I got done. I still have to add a wash of black on.
scenery35.jpg

mountian65.jpg

mountian45.jpg