Scene ideas for modules

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Ideas for modules

So, what can you fit on a 2x4 foot module anyway? Here are some ideas that have been sloshing around in my brain...

Many of the modules at my club feature an industry. Buildings or other facilities with up to three sidings can usually be accomodated on a 2x4.

**EDIT: The approximate size of a 2x4 foot module is 175 feet x 350 feet in HO, and 320'x640' in Nscale.

- refinery
- lumber dealer
- coal dealer
- passenger station
- fuel depot/dealer
- freight shed/depot/transfer co.
- gravel or other bulk material dealer
- junk yard

There are many scenic possibilities too:

- river crossing
- tunnel (although you might consider this for a corner, or a pair of modules to make it longer)
- grade (road) crossing
- trestle over a dry river
- waterfront/beach
- winter scene (my favourite - I hope to build a sugar bush, complete with pails hanging on the trees... ;) )
- water stop/water tower
- your favourite local landmark - distinctive church, landform, resturant, school, playground, drive-in, etc, etc.

For sets of 2 (or more!) modules:

- bigger industry
- small town
- yard (I would suggest that the minimum you need is 2 4footers to make it workable)
- industrial park with multiple industries

Hope this gets you rolling!

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Now for something completely different

I think that many Gaugers will appreciate these suggestions, given some of the funny and unusual things we've seen here over the years:

From "commercial" inspirations, how about:

- Dog River (from Corner Gas)
- The Possum Lake and Port Asbestos RR
- Jurrasic Park/Lost World module, with free-roaming dinos:rolleyes: :D
- Polar Express
- Hogwarts
- Thomas/Island of Sodor

Other not-quite-conventional ideas:

- One member of our club has created a flooded building site, complete with debris and equipment bobbing around in a water-filled foundation. The sign at the site says "Future Home of Bobbet Sponges"

- A few "classic favourites" have to be the car crash, the house on fire, and possibly the alien landing scene.

Got any others??

Andrew

LR&BRR

how about the homer j simpson nuclear plant with three headed fish in the cooling pond and some over sized animals with extra limbs or the like

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
LR&BRR said:
how about the homer j simpson nuclear plant with three headed fish in the cooling pond and some over sized animals with extra limbs or the like

Good one Harry,

And while we're at it - don't forget the Springfield Monorail with Leonard Nimoy! :) :D

Andrew

77railer

Im wanting to do Old Faithful, if I can find the dry ice, and this morning it hit me to try a water park, bet the kids would love that one.
77Railer

babydot94513

Member in training
I have to go with the real stuff - cardboard recycler. Receives Hi-Cubes and tank cars and to scale works out great on a pair of modules overall 8 feet by 30 inches. I would attach a track plan of my module but have not figured out how to compress or convert it.

Pete

MasonJar said:
- Dog River (from Corner Gas)
The scenery would be easy for this one - flat with a few buildings :thumb:
And you'd have to include the dog running away... ;)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
babydot94513 said:
I have to go with the real stuff - cardboard recycler. Receives Hi-Cubes and tank cars and to scale works out great on a pair of modules overall 8 feet by 30 inches. I would attach a track plan of my module but have not figured out how to compress or convert it.

JD...

Here is a link to a quick overview of photos on The Gauge.

http://www.the-gauge.com/thread14122-posting-pics-on-the-gauge.html

If you need some help let me know.

I would like to see your track plan - maybe post it in a new thread when you get it done...!

Andrew

77railer

I was thinking about an S Gauge module that is an old western town and getting a 1/64 coach and horse team, hollowing out the bottom, sticking it on an n-scale loco and having a track run thru the town and around the back so the coach would arrive and leave town. Whatcha think?